Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Oil Pressure Problems

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2010, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Problems

Hello all,
I just recently had my tranny rebuilt when I went to put it back in the truck I must of hit my oil sending unit with my bellhousing, I replaced my oil sending unit and no good my gauge is still reading zero. My lifters aren't ticking so i know my truck is oiling. My truck was sitting for about a month, could my oil pump be possibly going out or could it be something else. All my other gauges are working on my instrument panel so its not a fuse. My truck is a 1993 Chevy Silverado w/5.7. Thanks!!
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:48 AM
CF Junior Member

have u checked your wiring harness for the sending unit. u may have stressed a wire at the connector or got grease in the connector
Old September 17th, 2010, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Have someone watch the gauge and pull the wire off the sending unit, see what the gauge does then ground the wire and see what it does it should go to high psi if all this works as described the problem is the sending unit...hope this helps... note key must be on...
Old September 17th, 2010, 9:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Goaliekiller16,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

As with any electrical problem, it helps to ensure a solid ground. It's been my experience that as the ground wires and battery cables corrode, for some unexplainable reason, certain systems are affected first.

It's almost as though in a 12V system, different segments of the ground wire are used dedicatedly by specific, set systems in the car, and as the wiring corrodes, different specific systems on any vehicle given are unexplainably affected first. Case in point: I had an old Dodge, when the negative cable went bad, the radio was always the first thing to stop working. It happened a couple of times, always the radio.

New Battery Cables and a engine-to-firewall ground strap are cheap insurance, especially in vintage vehicles.

This is not a cheap shot, I've already changed my battery cables and firewall ground strap in my 04. I've found that your Alternator,Starter, and Battery will also last longer if they aren't fighting increased wire resistance due to corrosion.

Last edited by therewolf; September 17th, 2010 at 9:56 AM. Reason: double-post