Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

One or Two different problems?

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2010, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One or Two different problems?

Hi, I have a 2003 Silverado Z71 4WD, 350 eng, extended cab, power everything, and I love it. I also have a couple of problems. My gear position indicator has no light. and the Temp and Compass in the On Star mirror doesn't seem to work. On Star works but the Temp/Comp. is a no-go. Could anyone give me any sugestions. After reading through the posts, I know it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I hate the thought of going to a shop and spending big $$$. Thanks Dave F.
Old August 18th, 2010, 2:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi dave f.,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums

Try two things. First, check all the fuses. There's two main locations, one at the top of a tower over the driver side wheel fender skirt cover inside the engine compartment.

The other is under the panel when you open the driver side door above and to the left of the emergency brake pedal.

Second, how are those battery cables and engine to firewall ground strap?
Good insulation means little, because the wires get corroded from the inside.
Old August 18th, 2010, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

therewolf, Thanks for the welcome. the battery cables are are in very good condition, nearly new (had the problems before) and the firewall strap is tight and has no signs of corrossion. I have to get a ohm or Volt DC meter to really check the fuses, but they all tested good with a cheapo continuity tester. the fuse panel under the dash to the left of the steering wheel, not the one you had me check. has 3 wired blocks and 2 metal jacketed fuses 25A and 30A that is all . the owners manual shows it sholud have more, I don't know Thanks Dave F.
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A little vehicle history would help here.

Has this problem been with you since you obtained the vehicle?

Did you get the vehicle used?

Hopefully you have an owner's manual, it shows what fuses go where.

How many fuse holders in the fuse box are occupied is,(under the best of circumstances) generally controlled by the trim level your vehicle. The higher end models have more options, and therefore more fuses. Were the fuses removed and not re-installed for some reason prior to your acquiring the truck?

As you stated, a needle in a haystack, because not all options are named on a specific fused circuit at all.
Old August 20th, 2010, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

I've had the truck for about 4 months, it's used and I don't think they worked when I got it. I do have the owners manual so that helps. As far as the fuse boxes go, the Driver side when you open the door has 25 fuses and 2 CB, the box under the hood has 56 fuses and 11 relays, neither box has any missing fuses. Now the one left of the steering wheel under the dash has 4 hard wired blocks being hdlnr 2 6 way,hdlnr 1 12 way, info 12 way, all in a row down on right side, then on the left side middle Body 12 way anda 30Acb seat, 25A CB seat. The ones missing fron this box if even needed are according to the manual are seo 6 way,traler 6 way,upfit 4 way and sl ride 6way
Also on the on star mirror it has 2 green lights one on right and one on left right side is for on star on/off whats the other one? Temp & compass screen is dark. Thanks DaveF.