Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

operating temp too low

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2021, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low temp AGAIN

Originally Posted by zbkeebler
i have a 94 gmc k1500 5.7L and it runs around 150 degrees after the thermostat opens. as it is warming the gauge rises to right up around 200 as its supposed to as i am running a 195 thermostat. but after it opens the temp drops around 150 and never goes back up. the heat gets warm but is no where near as hot as it should be. coolant in brand new and theres no leaks....anymore...everything works fine, i just dont understand why it wont stay as hot as it should? ive seen other people with the same issue but havent really heard of any definitive solutions
I am also running a low temp, AGAIN, in my 2005 Silverado 5.3. I purchased it from original owner, who i thought told me everything, along with a stack of reciepts! After 6 weeks of below 0 temps and NO HEAT! I started replacing thermostats like they were underwear! In the end I was told by the 4th mechanic ...somewhere along the line the ? (I think I was told water pump? But dont remember, now 3 yrs later) some OTHER part that had been changed prior, required the thermostat to be changed to one that wasnt stock with the vehicle. After believing the first 2 thermostats were defective, and the one guy guessing what to put in, I found someone who took the time to look up the ?? (I wanna say water pump but not sure) and HE FINALLY put the ? for lack of a better word... CUSTOM thermostat (because it matched with the replacemennt part I cant remember.. that was preventing the stock thermostat from working. AS SOON AS HE PUT THE "WRONG thermostat in, I HAD HEAT!! FOR THE 1ST TIME IN 2 MONTHS OF 0 TEMPS!! Another 2 months later moved to Florida and never thought of it again, till 3 years later yesterday. The temp is low at 155° for 2 days now. Its March & only 65-80. So now.. Im not sure whats happening. Again.