Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Plastic radiator crack in 8.1L V8 ?

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2014, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic radiator crack in 8.1L V8 ?

This is not in a pick-up but rather in our Class A motorhome......I could use some info on how to approach this crack (which shows a damp spot) but no drips or puddles.

If you want to shoot me down.....now is your chance

Our extended service contract administrator send an adjuster to the shop to look at the crack. It was apparent but......no replacement will be approved until coolant level goes down and shows on the ground.

This is a 2003 motorhome with 36,260 miles as of today. This may or may not be a GM radiator. MH is on a Workhorse W22 chassis. I had a WHorse part # and promptly lost it.

Guess if I drove on a washboard dirt road for a while the radiator split would widen and loose coolant. That means a tow truck to the shop and possible complications.

Any thoughts on my dilemma?
Old June 23rd, 2014, 3:10 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum....
Might try running it for a while in the driveway...
let it reach temp, turn it off and let it cool over night, do the same thing the next day... the repeated heating and cooling will take its toll on a crack....

You could also consider a radiator pressure tester kit...this will allow you to pressurize the radiator for testing...
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. It was ran and cooled a few times. No leak. A repair shop did a pressure test overnight at 20#. No leak.

So now they are doing a radiator replacement with a new Workhorse radiator, p/n W8000540. It appears it is taking a LONG time to do the job. 2 days. Should I be worried? My guess is that 4 hours or more would be the labor "book" repair time.

There are extra items to consider such as a transmission cooler, dual electric cooling fans, which may or may not have to be taken apart. I don't know.

Any help out there from owners who have the big 8.1L engine and know about a radiator replacement?
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Update: Service manager tells me that Workhorse mounted the radiator and than built the frame around the radiator....instead of the other way around. Only for our Dolphin. Other models were conventionally built.

It was difficult to remove the radiator.