Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Coolant leak at Oil Cooler mount connection to plastic radiator

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2012, 2:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak at Oil Cooler mount connection to plastic radiator

Have a 99 Cad Escalade with 5.7 li V8 that I recently replaced a failed intake manifold gasket set with guidance from this forum, thanks.

After replacing coolant I ran into a problem with a leaking fitting in plastic radiator tank located at the oil cooler fitting under radiator hose (driver side). This is the fitting attached to the radiator itself securing oil cooler to radiator from outside of radiator. A sheet metal nut is used to secure the oil cooler from the outside of radiator one on top and one at bottom of plastic tank, driver side. I originally loosened the top nut after discovering a leak from that area. When resecuring the sheet metal nut I tightened it by tapping it lightly with a hammer/screw driver until snug. It still leaked so I tapped it a little harder to tighten it further. What happened then was a greater volume of coolant leaking.

I did use Bars Leak to attempt to seal it as it was just a small seeping leak. It didn't work though.

I'm not sure what the inside of the radiator looks like or what type of seal is inside the radiator around the oil cooler fitting, but it may have failed. Has anyone had this type of radiator leak and know of a inexpensive fix for it?

Thanks
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

Your best bet is to replace the radiator... its a pretty simple task and will resolve the leak issues, patching it will only lead to problems when you least expect them...
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks like RockAuto has them listed for for $120 to $160 for your vehicle, you may be able to find them locally as well...
Old December 11th, 2012, 1:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Had to replace the radiator in my lumina last week because of that.
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice. After thinking about your recommendation I have to agree that even if there was a quick temporary fix it would more than likely not hold up with all the temperature cycling the radiator goes through and would more than likely fail at the worst possible moment. With the truck kept outside in Minnesota with temperatures currently in single digits and teens I was hoping for a "miracle" fix but replacing the radiator would be the best. Hopefully outside temperatures will go up a little so working on it won't be to bad.

Thanks for referring to RockAuto. I was able to see what the embedded oil cooler looks like and saw the 2 seals used at the radiator mounting points in the tank, the top one being the failed one.

Thanks
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

You can just replace the end tanks.
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

How tricky is it to disassemble a radiator to replace seals on an oil cooler? The end tanks are ok, as is the core, while only thing appearing to have failed is the oil cooler seal between cooler and radiator end tank. Driver side end tank on radiator does not appear cracked at the fitting.

Had not checked for availability of individual seals for cooler or end tank gasket/seal. Wasn't sure how servicable radiators are.
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

The only one I have experience on is my '87 IROC-Z where the end tank was held to the core w/ fold-over tabs from the core. They just straightened them and replaced the tank. I think there was an O-ring like seal that went in the tank. Check w/ a radiator shop. If you take the tank in, it shouldn't cost a lot.