Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Please Help! No taillights or dash lights!!

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2015, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please Help! No taillights or dash lights!!

I'm Ed,

I own a 1977 C20 Scottsdale Camper Special, just recently bought it and picked it up for a grand. It is running and driving fine now, after discovering a couple of "fixes" by its previous owner. I was driving it last night and all of the sudden I lost my dash lights. Complete black, couldn't see the gauges at all. Shortly after I got pulled over because I had no taillights. I have brake lights, blinkers, hazards, headlights (hi & lo) but no taillights when my lights are on. The directional lights on the dash DO WORK. All the bulbs are brand new, and I just looked at them again to check if they blew or not, and they are fine. I looked at the fuse panel near the driver's side kick panel, and all the fuses looked fine. I ended up replacing one fuse because the glass was cracked (I believe it was a "Cluster Light" fuse too, but I still have nothing. I then checked the wires at the taillights and found that someone did really awful electrical work to hook up a updated plug for trailer lights, so I cut out the plug with the bad wires, and reattached the wires where they are supposed to go, and still nothing. Can anyone help me out here? or at least give me a sense of direction? I have a suspicion that the issue has something to do with the light switch, but I feel that I wouldn't have lights at all if it were the issue. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Please Help! No taillights or dash lights!!-11223311_1106691256011275_8664515407147849223_n.jpg  

Last edited by Brainsqueeze; July 16th, 2015 at 1:51 PM.
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

Just looking at the fuses can be deceiving. They need to be checked as I have seen them look good and be bad. Not sure about the 77, but it could be the switch as they used to have a separate terminal for the taillights.