Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Possible new owner

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new owner

Hi, I'm looking at getting my first Silverado and I have a few questions for you guys.

1. What are your thoughts on the 5.3 vs. the 6.2? I don't really tow that much but I thought the increase in power would be nice to have. The only problem I see that for some reason I've heard the 6.2 requires premium fuel. Also how does the 6.2 compare to about a 2005 6.0 in the 1500?

2. Any options or accessories I should get or stay away from? I'm looking at LTZ with Nav so any thoughts on how you like the Nav system would be great. I'm disappointed that I don't see an option for cooled seats or 110v power outlets like some other manufacturers.

3. How are the service intervals in these trucks? I'll be driving about 80 miles a day so I'll be in often for oil changes.

4. How would rate this truck up against the new F-150 and Ram?

Thanks
Old April 22nd, 2010, 1:58 PM
CF Junior Member

First and foremost I envy you for buying a new-truck, awesome question. I am not going to deviate from your orignal question but however I have heard from a few co-workers that the new 6.2 is a nice vehicle, however they said they wish they would have gone (bite tongue) to the Sierra model for the look. Guess its just personal preference. Personally if you don't tow anything then there is no reason for so much motor, you can make a 5.3 scream w/ some add-ons, just depends on how-much dough you want to spend. Good luck..
Old April 22nd, 2010, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ffmed6134
First and foremost I envy you for buying a new-truck, awesome question. I am not going to deviate from your orignal question but however I have heard from a few co-workers that the new 6.2 is a nice vehicle, however they said they wish they would have gone (bite tongue) to the Sierra model for the look. Guess its just personal preference. Personally if you don't tow anything then there is no reason for so much motor, you can make a 5.3 scream w/ some add-ons, just depends on how-much dough you want to spend. Good luck..
I don't have much background in this so what would be a few less expensive mods that would boost power? Also would it effect the cylinder deactivation?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 9:17 AM
CF Junior Member

K&N filter swap, or cold-air intake, there are endless opportunities to increase the power, you could find a tune-shop and see if they could reprogram you ecm - I know some guys on here have used Blackbear Tunes and I think they are satisfied.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 3:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Blackbear tune is pretty awesome... But, if you don't tow a lot go for the 5.3. It's just easier on gas compared to a 6.0, I don't know much bout the 6.2, but can't be to much different than mine.
A CAI, Exhaust, then tune, you'll see a performance, and a MPG increase.
Old April 24th, 2010, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

I bought a 2009 Silverado HD 2500 crew cab with a 6.0 engine. LTZ package. Absolutely a great truck. Not the best fuel mileage, maybe 14 or 15. I havent done any modifications yet. Bought it in July of 2009. As far as a comparison between the Silverado and a Ford or Ram. Never owned a ford vehicle. Bought a new dodge pick up once. Wont make that mistake again. With 30 years in law enforcement I can tell you that the chevrolet ouy did them all for durability. You will love the ride of the silverado. I have had many comments on how quiet the vehicle is and how smooth the ride. You will love the power.