Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Possible Passlock Problem?

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2010, 2:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Passlock Problem?

I just got my Dream truck 2 weeks ago, 2002 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax, it has been running great and today it would not start.

I found this forum found some threads that lead me to think it is a passlock problem.

Brief Description of my problem:
- Open door and the security light flashes (happened since day one, assumed normal)
- insert key everything's good
- turn key to "ON" position and EVERYTHING goes out, no power in the cab
- in anywhere from 2-10 minutes the power comes back on in the cab
- Turn key again and everything dies, except I got it to start twice in a row but not again

a Couple things I have noticed, Prior to not starting, that may be related :
- If I am playing a CD, everytime I start the truck the CD player shows an error and switches to radio
- One time while starting, the power seemed to glitch and caused the clock on the stereo to reset itself

Thanks for any help, I finally got the truck I have always wanted and I now I can't drive it.
Old February 15th, 2010, 3:08 AM
CF Beginner

Alright..... I feel like an idiot and should know better..... I went out to check and see if I could start it after the last attempt and there was no power at all. Then I remembered the battery was new and maybe that the guy I bought it from did not tighten the terminals enough......yes.....the neg was wiggling. cleaned, treated and tightened... starts right up now and no more stereo error.

Still get the "security" light flashing when the door is open and no key in the ignition though. Is that Normal?

At least I found a good forum for my new truck though, glad to be here. Forums are great and have been a big help with my '87 Toy FJ60 and '87 BMW 325is.
Old February 15th, 2010, 3:11 AM
CF Active Member

Yes, this is normal...my '02 Tahoe does the same thing.

Last edited by cam3439; February 15th, 2010 at 3:15 AM.