Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Power Programmers

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2007, 4:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Programmers

Hey everyone, I just bought my 02 Silverado Crew Cab w/ the 6.0L V8 with 73,000 miles on it. So far I'm VERY impressed with the truck. I haven't found anything that this truck can't pull. My question is, do you think it is worth getting a power programmer for my truck and if so what would be the best kind for my money?

Thanks
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Power Programmers

A guy I work with bought one of those power programmers, and according to him it he gained a ton of horsepower by reprogramming the PCM. But keep in mind this is the same guy who claims he could feel the difference when he installed a K&N air filter.I don't doubt that power programmers free up some horsepower, but is it going to be enough to feel it at the pedel? I'm skeptical. Some people spend a lot of money on performance items and they want to believe so badly that it makes a huge difference, that they trick their minds into thinking that they've made a bigger improvement than it actually is. But I've never used a power programmer. Use one at your own risk I guess. But be realistic about your performance gains. Serious horsepower requires a lot of modification and money.
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Buy a power programmer, a Predator would be best. Buy a K&N air filter. Thats about the only things you can do that will make a "pedal" difference and increase fuel mileage. All other mods need a "custom tune" in order to make them work properly and get hp out of them. Programmers and "tunes" take some of the torque management off which helps with towing. Be careful tho, too much reduction will kill the drivetrain. An exhaust works but it will kill some torque and when your towing it will kill some gas mileage as well. GM, Hypertech, Diablosports, K&N and several other will provide dyno sheets for power gains if you contact them. Some even have it on their web site.

Custom Tunes: Search Wheatley, Westers and Nelson.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
CF Junior Member

I've actually got a Veraram Cold Air Intake and a Magna Flow Exhaust on my truck already so i'm a couple steps ahead. But thanks for the tips, I've been looking around and I know Bully Dog has great programmers for diesels and I found one that they make for my truck but I didn't know if anyone had tried it. I was also looking for something more along the lines of a programmer that I can mount on my dash. I looked on Edge's website at the Evolution to see what they had but I don't know if that programmer is out for my 02. I think Hypertech carries one that is along the lines of what I want but I'm not sure about them cause I don't know anybody that has one so if anyone can give me some feedback on it that would be great. Thanks
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys,

I just bought an '08 Silverado Z-71 LTZ (5.3 Flex). Are there any programmers out there for the 2008 1500 series?
If so, are there real gains to be made through programming.......without upgrading throttle bodies, headers, etc?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old November 28th, 2007, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Hey 02HeavyDuty, how does the Magna Flow exhaust sound on your truck? I have the same truck and have been thinking of putting an exhaust on it. I'm looking for something not too loud but something that will make a difference ingas mileageand horsepower. Did you buy your truck without the coldair intake and exhaust? If so, did you notice a difference after installing them?

Thanks for your help
Old November 29th, 2007, 8:44 AM
CF Junior Member

02HEAVYDUTY: If you can hold out until February, Diablosport is releasing a programmer that mounts to the dash and will give you heads up display of the engine functions and stuff while giving you program-on-the-fly capability. It has tons of things you can modify and you can do it, log it and load it all on the fly. It will supposedly give you estimated mph, e/t's, 0-60 and all that too. I want one so bad but I want a diesel first.
Old November 29th, 2007, 9:29 PM
CF Junior Member

CRHebert: Neither the exhaust or the cold air intake are getting me any better gas mileage becauseI'm still only getting about 12 highway and9 or 10 in town,but I can tell a diffence in power. It just feels like it has little more behind it.So I would really recomend them. My exhaust is great, its not really loud when its idling but when you get it up to about 1800RPM it sounds great and on the highway its not very bad at all. I did just put a set of Interco Trxus Mud Tires on there and they are louder than the exhaust so that should kind've put it in perspective. I can still hear it purr but not near as much.

jbst12: Hey is that programmer they are coming out with going to work for the 6.0L Gas engine cause if so I will deff. wait for it to come out.
Old November 30th, 2007, 8:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Its called the Trinity. Here is the link. Go onto the forum if you want more details but the Diablo guys aren't spilling their guts too much just yet....

http://www.diablosport.com/index.php...play&pid=6

Old November 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks alot for the info. I'll deffinetely be getting one when they come out.

Quick Reply: Power Programmers