Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Project Sandman ! I NEED HELP ! INPUT

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2009, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Sandman ! I NEED HELP ! INPUT

Dear Fourm Readers,
I am restoring a 92' Chevy Pickup 4x2 4.3 V6 regular cap Full Size 8Ft bed It was my dads but he sold it to me for 250, i already have a car and I am a CAP Student, anyhow I am restoring this truck and i want the body to remain pretty much the same , i want it to be a sleeper, but i need to no how can i make this truck one, what can i do to beef it all up i no its going to take awhile many many years for money to come in etc , but how can i make it the sleeper i am looking for what i can do for the engine to gain horespower and tranny options? Rear axel ? it has an automatic in it to ... Please i need your input i Thank you All!! QUESTION JUST ASK!!!
Old April 26th, 2009, 9:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ford nine inch rear end!! dont like fords but those rear ends are bullet proof! And its a truck with a v6??? Not going to be much of a sleeper get a 350 with a 400 crank(383 ) and the ford nine inch rear end then you will have sleeper
Old April 27th, 2009, 3:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Suzuki-guy's right, with a six-banger, it's not a sleeper, it's just asleep.

There's a hell of a cost issue to making it a sleeper. You also have to keep it toned down, or you give it away. The point of a "sleeper" originally was to appear to have a dreadful car, appear to be drunk, then hustle the OTHER guy for his pink slip. Making it fast is costly, but hiding all that power is REALLY expensive.

You'll need a really large,quiet dual-exhaust, a hot V8(Go with a largeblock, if you're serious.) an upgraded intake with a radical cam to make the idle sound like ****, 410 or 456 gears for extra
dash, a posi rear to put it all on the ground fast. Then, until you're ready to race, you have to drive like a half-blind bitty. (BTW gas mileage isn't an issue,right? READ 6@MPG)

It's quite a commitment if you're not going to be racing in areas where your reputation hasn't had a chance to spread, that's another problem with sleepers, you only get to play the hustle a couple times locally.(If you, in turn, don't wind up getting hustled by another sleeper.)

Add to that the average sleeper looks like a junkyard refugee on purpose; flat black steel rims with highway radials, POS paint job,crappy interior,etc. Not the kind of vehicle with which you take a decent date out on Friday nite.

Last edited by therewolf; April 28th, 2009 at 2:33 PM.
Old April 27th, 2009, 5:17 PM
Super Moderator

First things first ditch the six banger
Old April 27th, 2009, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks to all and river rye , i want it to be like a sleeper but still have a decent look on the outside and interior to be nice, its going to be a long overhaul and gas milage well gas is just another expense gotta do what you gotta do i love these ideas guys keep them going i appreciate it so will a nine in rear end from a ford bolt almost right up?
Old April 27th, 2009, 6:17 PM
Super Moderator

Yes with a little modifications for the shocks me and my uncles race latemodels at oakshade speedway and we have 383 strokers with a ford nine inch rear end because they are bullet proof thats the only good thing ford created
Old April 27th, 2009, 8:33 PM
CF Active Member

sorry but what the heck is a sleeper?? i know what a sleeper is on a truck and trailer
Old April 27th, 2009, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator

A sleeper is a car or truck that looks like a piece of crap on the outside but is really souped up!!
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

After you get it all together and you get that 383 in it, make sure to put some big emblems on it that say V6. It adds to the sleeper look. You know, kinda like dodge used to do with their pickups, it would say on the fenders and tailgate, V6 Magnum, or something of that sort. People do pay attention to those emblems when you're outrunnin them. I say a true sleeper would keep the original look but have a beast under the hood. a ford 9" wouldn't be bad either. that rearend made people love those 4.9 straight sixes that used to be in a lot of ford pickups.
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:23 PM
CF Active Member

i get ya... kinda like my 300zx looked like crap but walked on most of the cars in preston lol... so fare my truck with my little 283 is runing strong... i walked on a 350 standard the other day... i mean i eat his truck alive and spit it back out ... i hit 60 in 2nd and had to let off cause i only have 1st and 2nd gear.. lol... yea get rid of the v6 un less you turbo the heck out of it...

Quick Reply: Project Sandman ! I NEED HELP ! INPUT