Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Question about 1996 in dash CD player

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 1996 in dash CD player

I have the OEM stereo in the truck...1996 Z71...and it's got an aux connector on the back and the CD/AUX button on the front...for if I added a CD changer.

I'm trying to hook up a ipod2car connector made by peripheral electronics. I had the same stereo in my 01 S-10 and it worked fine...however I can't get it to work on my Silverado.

My question is...is there a way to "initialize" or turn on the CD/AUX capability once I have something plugged into that jack? I don't have an owners manual, so I can't look there.

It maybe a case where the ipod2car simply isn't compatible with this model year...but I want to exhaust my efforts before putting an aftermarket radio in.

Any thoughts?
Old April 25th, 2009, 9:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the OEM cass player. I bought a USA spec cd changer that was factory compatible. I had to pull the radio fuse for a little bit and put it back before it worked right. I would connect the aux adapter first then connect main radio harness. It should work the same. This adapter is suppose to make your factory cassette player believe it has a cd changer.

If you have the OEM cd player, it wont recognize a CD changer on 1995 to 1999. The aux is for a remote cassette player. You could go either way back then, cassette radio, remote cd or cd radio, remote tape deck. I believe the 2000-2002 cd players will recognize a cd changer. I typed in your truck into crutchfield.com looked up this adapter. It pulls up a warning it will not work with a factory cd player for this year. if the radio came from a later model you may have a chance. hope this helps

edit... You can swap out the radio from a 2000 to 2002 car or truck and it would work, it should just plug in, the side clips could be different but you should be able to swap them from old radio to the new radio. but by then, you could have bought a ipod compatible aftermarket unit.

Last edited by rruelas; April 25th, 2009 at 9:52 PM.
Old April 26th, 2009, 8:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a ton for your help. I was hoping to keep it factory just because I keep the truck outside and would like to deter thieves, but I'll give it some thought. Again, thank you for your help...that answers my questions as to why I couldn't get it to work.