Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Question about MPG and lift, etc.

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2011, 8:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about MPG and lift, etc.

Found a truck I'm interested in, it's a 1998 with the 350. Owner says it has 9 in lift with 2 in body lift and an aftermarket steering box, professionally done. 35" tires on it. Now, the truck looks great, don't get me wrong, and I'd love to have it.

What I want to know exactly is how much this will/can decrease the MPG and what exactly would I be losing going with something this big. Initially I'm just looking at a stock Z71 Silverado (1996-1998), and I know the MPG won't be great regardless. I asked, he said he is getting about 12 because of the lift and tires. Is this average, or good for the lift, and I'm assuming this would be around town?

I'm a pretty heavy footed driver, currently I drive a 96' V6 Mustang and get average 14.5mpg with a 5-speed (has a few problems I believe, still). Hoping the automatic, especially in a truck, might slow me down a bit, but not sure.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 8:50 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm not sure exactly how much the lift impacts the mileage, but I know a stock z71 with a 350 extended cab body will get probably 16-17 mpg mixed city/highway... probably 19-20 mpg mostly highway miles.

I'd say, unfortunately, with that big of a lift, it's probably mixed, with highway miles bringing it up to that 12 mpg he's getting.

Also, manual transmissions typically get about 1-2mpg more than the same vehicle with an automatic.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 8:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by zm1040
I'm not sure exactly how much the lift impacts the mileage, but I know a stock z71 with a 350 extended cab body will get probably 16-17 mpg mixed city/highway... probably 19-20 mpg mostly highway miles.

I'd say, unfortunately, with that big of a lift, it's probably mixed, with highway miles bringing it up to that 12 mpg he's getting.

Also, manual transmissions typically get about 1-2mpg more than the same vehicle with an automatic.
Depends on the vehicle, and how you drive it honestly.

Eh...I'll ask him a bit more. It's about 2.5 hours away, so I'd hate to go look at it and not be set about that already. I thought the 350 got a little less than that though (well that is supposedly expected I guess but in actuality)...that is better than I was thinking!
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
CF Junior Member

I had a 4 x 4 1978 Suburban and it had 225's tires on it when i bought it. Replaced them with bigger tires. Finially, after changing three sets of tires, I changed to 33 inch tires...I found that my speedometer registered 65 mph when I was really going 60 mph.

I was told I needed to recalibrate the speedometer. I never did ask if it affects mile per gallon. So I wonder if this affected my truck.

Point is...it might affect your speedometer!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rob G
I had a 4 x 4 1978 Suburban and it had 225's tires on it when i bought it. Replaced them with bigger tires. Finially, after changing three sets of tires, I changed to 33 inch tires...I found that my speedometer registered 65 mph when I was really going 60 mph.

I was told I needed to recalibrate the speedometer. I never did ask if it affects mile per gallon. So I wonder if this affected my truck.

Point is...it might affect your speedometer!
Well, he said it was professionally done. So I'm hoping that if it was, then he got the speedo tweaked. I was driving an 84' CJ7 that had larger tires (possibly small lift), and I know the speedo was a bit off in that but never knew how much.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:51 PM
CF Junior Member

I intend to get my speedometer checked in my blue truck....I think I am 2-3 mile off on the overall speed. But I am waiting to try install 285 tires without doing any lift improvements. Tire shops say it cant' be done, but I want to see it before I believe it.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 2:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Got a message back from him, he's budging on the price, wants it gone apparently...wouldn't blame him with rising gas prices. Regardless, he said it was 12 mixed hwy/city....I just don't know if I can completely stomach that.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 4:25 PM
CF Junior Member

You can remove/lower a truck the same way you lift it (in a manner of speaking) right? The thing looks like it could be lowered a good 5 inches or so..I'm just trying to rationalize it lol. I've been looking for a few months around my area (and up to 500 miles out) and I just can't find any now that I actually have the cash...

Old March 24th, 2011, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

my brother had a 95 ext cab Z71 with a 8 inch lift and 35" tires with the 350 vortec and he was getting about 15mpg on the highway and about 11 in town even with heavy duty full replacement bumpers on it. hope that helps
Old March 25th, 2011, 5:28 PM
CF Active Member

There is no question the lift has a negative effect on mileage. Just the bigger tires alone have an impact by increasing the circumference of your rolling weight you put more strain on the truck engine. The fact that the truck is higher also creates more bad air flow and drag under the truck. Plus you will most likely find that you will have to pay more for tires by 100 dollars or so apiece. Being cool ain't cheap!

Quick Reply: Question about MPG and lift, etc.