Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Rear Differential Died

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2009, 4:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Differential Died

Well i was getting on the freeway with my foot pretty well on the gas when it felt as if the back end ran over a cinder block. I promptly get of the freeway where the noise is really loud. Going straight wasn't bad, but turning make a lot of loud clunks. I got towed home and took of the rear end cover.

The ring gear and pinion gears are fine, but the spider gear and the rest of the diff. are toast.

To replace the broken parts i've ordered an Eaton LSD and install kit. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

I'll try a do a full write up when i'm done for anyone interested.
Old March 30th, 2009, 1:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What size diff,373s? What was the mileage? Other 04 Silverado owners (like me) want to know.
Old March 30th, 2009, 6:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That exact same thing just happened to me in my 94 it is the cheap diff that chevy put in there many people have problems what i did is buy a new auburn carrier on ebay, but it i highly highly recomend putting new ring and pinion in there!!! its only a little extra and its cheap insurance for not blowing your carrier up again. you need to put new carrier bearings and pinion bearings in there to. i would also reccomend new wheel seal and rear wheel bearings in. also check to make sure your axle shaft is not bent beacuse mine was because mine blew up so bad the c clip came out and my axle came out. also really really take your time cleaning all the **** out of there!!!!! And take your time dont be in a hury because it needs to be installed right(right backlash, and pinion preload). if you are going to get ring pinion, and bearing kit i would recomend ringpinion.com they are cheap and they back it up with a warranty!!! any questions let me know ive done a lot of these diffs!!!
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree on replacing the ring and pinion its very easy to overlook a chip or a hairline crack that may come apart right after you get it goin again and then your right back where you started