Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Rear shocks 2010 silverado

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2015 | 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Rear shocks 2010 silverado

Hey guys.
I recently decided to level my truck with the Rancho Quick lift struts.
I also decided to redo my rear shocks, as per the Rancho website I got what would replace stock shocks. (rs999198s).
I installed them myself and it seems that the rear is a tad lower than the front. Also the shock was compressed quite a bit with no weight in the truck.
I asked around and I was told I needed a different type contrary to the websites specs. So I go a pair of rs999297s. Which essentially adds 4" to the back. After they were installed the shock was almost completely compressed. I'm wondering if this is normal or I'm installing them wrong.

How should they installed? (while the truck is jacked up with floor jacks not completely off the ground).
Should they be compressed or expanded on installation and in normal use with nothing in the box how much should it be compressed?

Thanks in advanced!
Old May 17th, 2015 | 5:28 PM
Super Moderator

not sure what you are trying to do with the back. the shocks won't change the ride height in the rear...you need to add blocks to the springs if that is your objective. don't stack blocks.

you will need to get the wheel alignment done after doing the leveling kit. Any change in ride height will change the alignment settings. if you don't get it done you will wreck your tires.

Last edited by tech2; May 17th, 2015 at 5:31 PM.