Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Remove OnStar 2011 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2012, 8:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And you know this how? Its always harmless data until who knows what, then whos in deep? Not me if they dont have the data.
Old January 26th, 2012, 8:10 PM
CF Active Member

I don't know anything for sure. But really come on, why live life like Big Brother is always looking over your shoulder?

If you live that way, why are you on the internet, why you do own a cell phone?
Old January 27th, 2012, 9:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Because big brother is always looking over anyones shoulder that will let them. Why is it there is a Senator that has asked that Onstar be looked into for giving and selling information to Insurance companies, Police depts. and basicly anyone thats willing to pay for it. Is that a proper business action. I was just told that I needed to go to a local dealership and ask for the form to have my Onstar removed and send it to them for approval. I asked 3 dealerships about this and they had no idea what I was talking about.
They can find no such form even from onstar. Why is it they dont want there system removed even tho it is inactive. There has to be a reason but you wont get it from them.
Sneaky and untruthful, would you want to deal with this company??
Rod
Old January 27th, 2012, 9:42 AM
CF Active Member

I think the bigger issue there is poor customer service with OnStar really. It's not uncommon for CSR's to be underinformed with large companies. I'm personally ok with Onstar selling data as long the data sold is summary data and not specific to us or tied back to us. For example, I don't want my insurance company to be able to see that I drive 85 on the interstate, but I'm ok with them know that 60% of onstar customers drive that fast.

Last edited by tsduke; January 27th, 2012 at 9:46 AM.
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
CF Junior Member

I could almost say we agree partly. The last I knew if any information from me was to be used in a survey I was to be notified of it. Onstar is overstepping there bounds in that regard. Now when they say that a certain percent of people drive 85 on the interstate that would be fine. But when the powers that be want that broken down more and it goes to your state and then the Insurance company wants more and it ends up pointing to us because its illegal, That isnt right, and that does happen. With a simple court order anyone with a legitemate reason can get any information that onstar has received. Like a simple where is this person I need to deliver a summons. Im simply saying I dont want anyone tracking my every move, right or wrong, Its my business and I should and will control what I can. Onstar is forced upon a lot of people that dont understand it and that isnt right. This is America isnt it??
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM
CF Active Member

I believe you can disable it by unplugging two or three cables that lead into the box. What pisses me of more is you still pay for them to put one in your car.
Old January 27th, 2012, 8:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Be careful what you unplug. That unit controls more than you would think. If you want some boring but informative information Skim thru the Terms of agreement for Onstar sometime. Im sure you will be surprised at whats in there. I dont believe you actually even own the unit. But take note of what information they can keep and sell or give to companys of there choice when you agree to it. I bet 75% of the people wouldnt go for it if they knew what was in there and its almost forbidden to ask them about it. I know that for a fact.
Old January 28th, 2012, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

My question Too would be why are you so worried about this you are stressing about something stupid
Old January 28th, 2012, 9:21 AM
CF Junior Member

I don't know if this is fact or fiction, but a comment that I heard was that dealers need to have this unit intact/active to get some people financed.
This allows the finance company the location of the vehicle, if they need to repocess the unit, you will not be able to hide it.
Old January 28th, 2012, 5:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Well Freddy I never was worried about it . It was disabled the day it came home. Maybe you dont care if people have there nose in your business or make a profit off your personal life without you knowing it. Myself, I wont have it if I know about it. If you dont care thats your choice. I do know I have an appointment at my dealership and GM/onstar are paying for the removal of the module (GPS and Phone) that I dont want in my vehicle. I am also keeping the Module I had to pay for with the purchase. No problem No worry.

Skeeters Some Finance companys do require a GPS unit in vehicles they Finance but they also need to make the buyer aware of it and sign an agreement. The finance companys have Requirements the are bound to also.

Quick Reply: Remove OnStar 2011 Silverado