Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Remove OnStar 2011 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2012, 6:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question Too would be why are you so worried about this you are stressing about something stupid

Onstar is worthless in my opinion. Why would anyone want a corporation to know where one goes, how fast one drives, when one drives, and give them the ability to listen in to private conversations? Plus pay them $200 a year to do it.

Now THAT seems stupid to me.
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

I agree. Knowledge is power. I choose to keep my privacy whenever I can.

We paid cash for our truck, so financing was not a reason for the dealer not to remove the module.
I had a dishonest dealer. I was Mislead by the sales manager. I bought the truck on his statement, "I will Remove OnStar." It was to my detriment. In Ohio, there is no 3 day to change your mind. You sign, You Pay, You Stuck.
Sounds like you have a dealer willing to work with you. I believed that too. I am happy for you.
I read online, during my research for OnStar; in Canada & Austria, OnStar or a form of tracking in vehicles is being used to give tickets. I do not know if this is true or not.

Maybe this is where we are headed if we don't stand up & speak up now.

Yes I know everything we do is read, watched, or listened to, by the powers that be, in some way.
But if we come in contact with someone who is dishonest in their business practice,
I think the right thing to do, is to warn others.
This is what I was trying to do. I also thought, maybe others had this problem.

I hope we all learn something by our experiences in life.
I miss the days when you could trust people, neighbors helping neighbors.
Old January 30th, 2012, 7:24 AM
CF Junior Member

I still say if you had an agreement with your dealer for no onstar then its there obligation to have it removed. I would contact your dealer and tell them either remove it or find me a truck without it. If not get in touch with you State consumer assistance center and let them work on it. When something like this is reported to cac it is documented and after a number of complaints they can be shut down. Id start with your dealer and the Salesman, let him know about it first. I bet he will listen
Old January 30th, 2012, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

So far, I have contacted the salesman, sales manager, owner, service manager, Attorney General, Congressman, Senator Fraken, BBB, lawyer, Forums, etc. I will continue to tell the story .
Maybe someday...someone will say, "Hey, I know how to take it out, and you will have no problems with the truck or the warranty."

We were told if we have it taken out on our own, the warranty is voided on the truck.

I am not so stressed as I am disappointed in the system.
I have learned that Yes what the dealer did was illegal. They do it all the time and get away with it because there is no recind law in Ohio.
We trusted.
We were deceived.
We got burned.
Lesson Learned - Be Thankful God is in control & HE will repay those who do us wrong.
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM
CF Active Member

I think the lesson from this is that all agreements should be in writing. Never take the word of a salesman.
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, I got it written in the contract, in two places.

But, I did not know, in Ohio, there is no recind rule. Which means, anything can be in the contract and they still do not have to refund your money or change the truck...
That is the information I want others to know.
So this does not happen to anyone else, all I can do is tell my story & hope it helps someone.
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:59 AM
CF Active Member

I would believe you could still sue in civil court for a breach of contract. Get an estimate on the cost to completely remove the onstar system, so you will have a monetary amount to put in the suit.
Old February 1st, 2012, 9:01 AM
CF Active Member

"GM"~ Government Motors..."Big Brother" building a better tomorrow ( for themselves ) today...
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your input. I will check into it.
Old February 17th, 2012, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

On-star isn't for me either I had a loaner rental provided to me when mine was in for service. The agreement said I could not take the loaner out of state. AS it happened I was near the state line and the On Star operator chimed in with a pre-recorded message that led me to believe the truck would be shut down if I did enter the neighboring state.

I had the same request and was told that the ECU and other components of the car rely on On-Star. They could disable the account but not its interaction with the vehicle. Disabling the account won't allow On-Star to reset your door locks, sense a collision and some of the safety, convenience and diagnostic features.

I don't have an account and don't want one.

Incidentally, all modern vehicles with an ECU track the vehicles operation and provide a read out for at least 60 seconds prior to an impact. The download will show speed, brakes, position of the steering wheel etc.

Quick Reply: Remove OnStar 2011 Silverado