Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Replace plugs and wires and now check engine light is on!!!

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2008, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace plugs and wires and now check engine light is on!!!

Ok so I replaced my old plugs and wires on my 01 silverado 5.3L with new tr55 ngks and msd wires. The plugs were all gaped correctly etc... Only thing was the heat shields where the spring is I could not get the spring back in so I just slipped the plug wire inside of it where the shields rest on the outside but are a little loose... Could that cause the check engine light to come on? I have installed the hypertech power programmer and took the screen off my MAF but both of those had been done a while before changing the plugs and wires and the ck engine light just now came on...

Also is there a fuel cut off anywhere on these trucks like there are for say a ford explorer when you go to change the fuel filter? On an explorer you just flip a switch behind the dash to cut the fuel off to change the filter... How is it done on these trucks?

Also sometimes my ABS and E-brake lights will come on while driving does anyone know what this might be?
Thanks for any help
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Replace plugs and wires and now check engine light is on!!!

It it possible you could have crossed the wires? Also you might have a bad spark plug wire. I had this happen to me with my 97 F150 about 8 years ago. New wires too. If you have a cylinder misfiring it will cause the check engine light to come on.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I was thinking bad wire, you cant cross them because each plug has its own coil but maybe even a lose wire. I cant see the computer picking up the shields being a little lose. Is it running ok? I wouldnt feel to good about the lose shields but if you're ok with it turn your key on and press the gas to the floor three times and it should reset the code. It is in your owners manual on information center or something like that.
No cutoff on the gas line, just remove the cap to relieve the pressure. It does spray a little but its not to bad and really does not run that much after you remove it. Its on the drivers side inside frame underthe bed.
Old March 26th, 2008, 7:41 AM
CF Active Member

your abs and e brake lights coming on could be either a short or there might be something wrong with your abs system, probably just a short though.

i know you said you descreened the MAF sensor before the check engine light came on but is it possible that you accidentally messed with the wires inside the MAF and it has finally triped a code?

also have you used your hypertech to read the code? you can go online and find out exactly what the code is.

hope this helps, good luck.

PS: i have been hearing about the descreening of the MAF, was it hard and did you actually feel any difference in your throttle response. thanks
Old March 26th, 2008, 2:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'd liketo know if taking the screen off the MAF helped out any. I have considered doing it but I have heard without the screen to help direct the airflow it can actually have a negative impact.
Old March 26th, 2008, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Descreening the MAF is real easy, you just take the intake off by loosening the hose-type clamps take the MAF off and I took a long flat head screw driver and gently bent the screen until it loosened up and came off... Just be careful not to mess up anyhing with the MAF other than that... I just noticed a slight increase in mid range power primarily while driving around seems to pass cars a little easier... What I really need now is posi-trac... I tested all the add-ons last night after changing the plugs and wires (truck has 110K miles and had never been changed) but I changed that then from a dead stop laid rubber for about an eighth mile... IT WAS GREAT! You wouldnt think just those small add-ons would make much of a difference but wow... Now on to change the fuel filter and see if I can fix this check engine light problem... Anyone have a new set of wheels and tires they want to unload?