Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Roots style blower question

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2010, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hi J Lambert,

Welcome to the Chevy forums.

Not for nuthin', but what's your gear ratio ?

You might want to look into the horsepower gains of a PCM chip Tuned by Black Bear or Nelson Tune.

You could save yourself about 5,700 beans over a supercharger or blower, and get yourself the extra power you need to pull a boat.

Unless you're planning on towing the USS Bainbridge or something...
I have put a hand held tuner on every car or truck I have ever owned. I purchased an HPTuner when I got my Camaro. Because I was not totally satisfied with the hand helds. So I can use the HPT for my truck also.

They are a huge help but I was looking for a little more than just a tune. The charger is not for the boat. The truck alone is more than enough to pull my little boat. I was just looking to have some fun around town and give a few cars a run for their money.
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I guess it's the usual:

CHEAP

EASY

POWERFUL/FAST

pick any two.

What's that gear ratio again? Because back when I had my 410s, I was a whole lot faster (with a 2500HD 4X4 CCLB no less) than I wanted to be, with only a 6.0L Vortec.
A blower may not be the answer for an Urban Light Jockey, because by the time you develop that power against smaller, lighter cars, it's already all over. Seems like gears may be what you need .

Last edited by therewolf; October 11th, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old October 11th, 2010, 1:53 PM
CF Active Member

I guess having done what you want to do I just don't think it was all that fast. Don't get me wrong it is fun, but with what they weight it's hard to really get them going. But if I had to do it again I would get 410 gears for the rear end and put a cam in. You would do great if you got a 2500 with a 6.0L as they have even more power to start with and you will get bigger everything to help hold the power. A 2010 duramax should be priced good right now as the 2011 trucks are out. you should be able to get some very nice left over rebates going. Just remember the duramax will take way more abuse. No matter what TRUCK you get it will be nothing like a fast fun car. But I have seen many durmax trucks run 13 sec. ¼ mile with only a few mods. But to get any faster than that you need to start paying out some cash and doing some more mods.
Old October 12th, 2010, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by therewolf
Well, I guess it's the usual:

CHEAP

EASY

POWERFUL/FAST

pick any two.

What's that gear ratio again? Because back when I had my 410s, I was a whole lot faster (with a 2500HD 4X4 CCLB no less) than I wanted to be, with only a 6.0L Vortec.
A blower may not be the answer for an Urban Light Jockey, because by the time you develop that power against smaller, lighter cars, it's already all over. Seems like gears may be what you need .
The 1500 has 308 gears but they all come with 6 speed transmissions now. I am checking into a taller gear currently.

As far as the power goes we are only talking a little over 100 horses with a blower. You don't think this truck can handle that???

I have a 125 shot of nitrous on my camaro now and I have a buddy with a magna charger on his camaro. We have abused the sh*t out of our cars and they are both holding up fine. Don't get me wrong I AM NOT TRYING TO COMPARE A CAR AND A TRUCK! I am speaking of the abuse they are able to withstand. I would think the truck would be more durable. IMO.

Also I am not wanting to race and win against a car. It's all about good old fun and a little shock value. Just the shock on someones face when your pick up kept up with something that should have skull drug you. lol
Old October 12th, 2010, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LARIDERS
I guess having done what you want to do I just don't think it was all that fast. Don't get me wrong it is fun, but with what they weight it's hard to really get them going. But if I had to do it again I would get 410 gears for the rear end and put a cam in. You would do great if you got a 2500 with a 6.0L as they have even more power to start with and you will get bigger everything to help hold the power. A 2010 duramax should be priced good right now as the 2011 trucks are out. you should be able to get some very nice left over rebates going. Just remember the duramax will take way more abuse. No matter what TRUCK you get it will be nothing like a fast fun car. But I have seen many durmax trucks run 13 sec. ¼ mile with only a few mods. But to get any faster than that you need to start paying out some cash and doing some more mods.
I do not disagree with you about the 2500. I would love it. And with about $1000 in it it would run like hell. I KNOW I will not get a car feeling out of a truck. It is not what I'm expecting. Just want a little more than a good ole farm truck. LOL!

The 2010's are still in the high high 40's and you have to take what they have on the lot. So you don't really get what you want. In turn you start every conversation with "I wanted a black one but this is what they had left..."
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:20 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by J Lambert
Well the 1500 Silverado LTZ I ordered was $39700 without the $2500 the dealer is offering as of right now. So that puts me at $37200. My price on a magnacharger is $6000. Exhaust and a cold air intake is $500. Magna Charger programs your computer for you in the cost of the charger. So now I'm at $43700. Unless I am missing something I do not know where I can get a 2011 2500 diesel for anywhere around that price. Or a 2010 for that matter. And absolutely not with the options of an LTZ. Last I checked I would be looking at about $10,000 more for the 2500 equipted the same. If not more!!!
Keep your eyes open. Sometimes you can get a left over truck (ie 2011 when the 2012 come out. I have seen these trucks for as low as 35k - for a crew with moderate options to 45K - for the works (leather and all). Three years ago, my local dealer in Melbourne, FL had a two year left over for 35K and this thing was fully loaded - BRAND NEW!!!. Trust me, all I needed was ONE reason to NEED that kind of truck but I couldn't come up with one. Besides, I don't haul much right now, so I would be throwing money away in diesel.

Anyway, my point is, if you keep your eyes open, you can find awesome deals. You may have to drive a bit, but the are there to be had.

BTW, Welcome to the site!!

If you do end up doing the supercharger, PLEASE let us know what you did and how it worked out. Pics are always a plus!!

Last edited by ericnottelin; October 12th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM
CF Active Member

when I said gears and cam I mean those plus a blower. Not trying to talk you out of it, because it is fun and different. Just want to give you some options to think about, and that is coming from a person that has been there. There was a person on here that had a tahoe that did a roots style blower. I think he sold it a while ago, but maybe you should talk to him, and see what he went with.
Old October 12th, 2010, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LARIDERS
when I said gears and cam I mean those plus a blower. Not trying to talk you out of it, because it is fun and different. Just want to give you some options to think about, and that is coming from a person that has been there. There was a person on here that had a tahoe that did a roots style blower. I think he sold it a while ago, but maybe you should talk to him, and see what he went with.
That is exactly the type of thread I am speaking of. Anyone have any direction on the gentleman with the Tahoe with a blower on it?????
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:01 PM
CF Active Member

I don't think there was a thread I just remeber a pic. But this is the link if you want to try and pm him.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...t=4911&page=73
Old October 13th, 2010, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

I must be missing something. I could not find a picture of it nor does anyone's signiture read "blower or supercharger".

Do you remember his screen name??

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Roots style blower question