Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

scraping noise rear of silverado

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2014, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scraping noise rear of silverado

Hello,

I have a 2005 silverado 1500. I have a scraping noise from the rear of the vehicle, (metal to metal) sound. I have taken the rear wheels off, placed in neutral and rotated the tires. There is not a metal to metal sound there. I have not taken apart the brake drum.

I also noticed when i manually moved the wheels(rear) that the prop shaft made a somewhat whinish sound(not high pitched or metal to metal).

Would that be normal for the prop shaft to do that. I have checked the u joints and they are tight.

would anyone have had any issues with this type of problem.

Thanks for any help

D.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 7:46 PM
CF Junior Member

People on here are pretty worthless when it comes to answering. assuming your truck is not lifted or running bigger tires, this sounds like a Brake issue or maybe a bad rear end. id check to see if a caliper is hanging up, your pads are worn, or a rotor is bent. if not, some sort of clutch in the rear end could be gone and getting in the gears, but the whine you describe concerns me. take your rear end plate off and have a look. if it smells burnt, find the issue and correct it. if the oil is clean and no shavings are found, replace your oil. i am not familiar with chevy rear ends, but very familiar with dodge rear ends since my old one ate itself due to a differential slip clutch exploding.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 7:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh.. and also, see if the grinding goes away when you change between four high and 2 wheel drive while driving.