Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Sea Foam

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 9:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No didnt say that on the Can?
Old May 11th, 2009, 9:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
I wouldn't think that water would be a good thing to put into your engine.... Its an anti-lubricant.
If it were me, I'd much rather stay on the safe side and use a petrol or alcohol based product.

no one says to "put water into engine". you SPRAY mist into the vacuum line. as you all know, water has zero compressibility. none. so, droplets of water behave like tiny jackhammers, hammering sludge, soot, and crap off the cc chambers and valves. crap is puring outta tail pipe.
now, for the safety reason, if you want to do it, and it works fine, have your cat removed. it may not like that crap river flowing down the exhaust.

also, water injection was used in bombers engines since mid 30s, i believe. water/methanol mix is a norm for racers.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:02 PM
CF Senior Member

anyhow, seafoam in crankcase is not for power or something. seafoam in tank cleans anywhere gas goes. seafoam in crankcase cleans anywhere oil goes.
that simple.
i forgot to mention yet another way. pull spark plugs out and pour some into the spark plug holes. disable fuel pump and crank just like one turn. leave it like this overnight. be prepared for hard start and lotsa smoke in the morning, on start up. do this several times.
what it does, on engines that went through cheap oil/gas "treatment", sludge builds up on piston rings. seafoam - or any quality cleaner, for that matter - will dissolve it on the upper 2 rings. restores compression. THAT restores your power.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Any liquid has zero compressability. Atomized water such as that in a mist looks like it would be as compressable as the fuel, but it wouldn't burn, just vaporize.
I just don't see how it could benefit much and I wouldn't recommend it.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

I have actually had other people say what ukroz is saying but like Brent said i would not do it nor recomend it!! Just use sea Foam its safe!! Wanting to try it in my crankcase/oil just waiting for some input on how well this works!
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

It works VERY well. I have dismantled an engine that had 200k miles on it about 20k miles after it had a seafoam treatment and it was truly unbeleiveable how clean it was.

Originally Posted by activemonkey
To use it in the motors oil it's a bit more involved. You need to change the oil and then poor 1/2 to 1 can in with the oil. run the motor for ~200-300 miles then change the oil and filter. If you do not change the oil i've been told you can damage seals.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

MMk do you guys just dump 1/3 can in your oil runit 100-200 miles and flush it with cheap oil then change oil?
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
CF Senior Member

1. just for the record - water is THE ONLY fluid on Earth that has zero compressibility. eggheads, tried, believe me. that's why it is used in cutters that can cut anything, including diamonds. problem is - they don't have nozzles strong enough to withstand water pressure. as of how it works, read about cavitation. many ship propellers where lost to it.

2. anyhow, suzuki, best way to do is:
pour CAN of seafoam into crankcase about 500 miles before oil change and drive as usual
go to wallimart and buy a gallon of supertech oil in your weight, for 2000 it is 5w30.
buy quality oil, 6 qrts, i use amsoil (15000 miles oil changes) and Mobil1 or K&N filter. Purolator is said to be very good either.
drain used oil. plug the pan and pour supertech oil in. i run mine for about 15 minutes, with occasional 2500 rpm bursts. drain. will come out dark like a tar.
replace filter, refill with good oil. enjoy.

you can put several cans of seafoam into crankcase, and it'll hurt nothing. it is oil based product, thus blends with machine oils without any adverse effects.
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Oil cant be compressed , it just expands and contracts due to temp changes, I was always taught that liquids in general cant be compressed. Thats why hydraulics (oil basically) do what they do at such precise movements. Water is just the most powerful force on earth at its viscosity. I used to work on motion base simulators, thats why that comment caught my eye.

Anyways , Good steps for the seafoam in the crankcase, I have never done that yet and will next change.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 12th, 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

ok noticable performance with seafoam in the crankcase? thanks UKROZ!!!

Quick Reply: Sea Foam