Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Second Gas Tank?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Gas Tank?

I don't see much of a market or people putting in a second gas tank that you can mount and switch to from the original tank. Is this too tough of an issue to overcome with the vapor venting issues or can it be done reasonably?
Old April 8th, 2011, 8:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do most anything with a big enough bundle of 50s. The factory installed ones gave quite a bit of trouble with the electric switch over components. Would a fuel tank in the bed with a 12V pump work for you?
Old April 8th, 2011, 2:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

depending on the year of truck; titan tanks makes a double size capacity tank that is a direct fit. Some people prefer this vs slip tanks as the box is completly empty.
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked out Titan fuel tanks, wow! A plastic tank for over 1000 dollars and only a 5 year gaurentee. I think I'll save my money and make a down payment on an oil well!

It appears to me that all the car manufacturers determine what is the smallest reasonable size tank we can put on a vehicle that gets close to 300 miles before it needs a refill. This way they can keep the weight down on their estimated mpg figures by not having to use the extra weight in the calculations that are a big lie anyway. You know where they use a 85 pound women to drive a rig that is devoid of all options a radio, carpeting, passenger seat and has the lightest mag wheels and tires that they run downhill with a tailwind to get their figures.

I mean give me a break, a four wheel drive truck is built to go into areas where there are no gas stations and people stay and hunt or fish for days and drive around. I'd say they are a bit disingenius and as usual not really that interested to delivering what a customer wants or needs. Look at all the crap you have to buy because they package options instead of letting you get the ones you need. They make people think they need "climate controll systems to handle the temp in their rig and what I find is I can never get it to work how I like. I mean who wants the gas burning AC to come on to cool the truck when the heat got it too hot. And who want temperature controlled heat that won't give you nice blast of hot air without constantly having to fool with the temp controls.

I think cars could be made for nearly 10,000 dollars less if they quite forcing crap on you in the standerd model. I'd like to see a truck that has no carpet, no radio, no onstar, bench seats and no frills. I'd buy and add my own options and still come out way ahead!
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

yeah, there is no inexpensive option be it oem, titan or slip tanks with pump.