Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

"Service tire monitor system" and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2010, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Service tire monitor system" and TPMS

Rotated the tires on my NBS 2007 2500. Changed air pressures to 80 rear and 60 front on the tires I moved. Vehicle has the "relearn tire position" and "tire relearn active" in the digital window. Horn chirps twice, I start with the driver front and let out air until it's damn near flat but no horn to allow me to move to the next wheel. I finally gave up.
Now the "Service tire monitor system" comes on when I start, and the yellow tire icon is lit all the time.
Vehicle is under warranty until May 10. Is this "Service tire monitor" thing a warranty item? Last time I took the truck in they hit me $73 and told me my front brakes were bad; I took it home and fixed with aftermarket parts.
Have we become a nation of dummies that we can't check our own tire pressures? I have been driving since 1961 and have not had the need for this crap, but Washington says we need to have it I guess. Cure for that is throw them all out next November.
Old April 8th, 2010, 6:15 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to let the air out until it is flat. Sometimes it takes almost that long. It is best if you remove the schrader valve to do it.
Old April 8th, 2010, 7:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the computer isnt set to read that high of psi.
Old April 9th, 2010, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default TPMS and tire pressures

80 rear and 60 front is what the 2500 is specified at, and I had those PSI's in there last time I rotated, and the system worked after a couple of tries. Tried pulling the shrader valve out and let it go all the way flat to no avail.
Could be because the "Service tire pressure monitor" light is on that something else needs to be done first. Would this be a warranty item? Appreciate any and all help.
Old April 9th, 2010, 6:48 PM
CF Veteran

have you tried driving it around to let the computer read the psi instead of at a stand still. i've had to do this on quite a few cars.
Old April 13th, 2010, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default TPMS and Service Tire Monitor

Stopped at local Chev dealer today, their Quik Lube people fixed my TPMS right out in the parking lot, no charge. At first he was having a problem with the hand held tool - then went inside the office and turned off the answering machine - says it interferes with the tool? Two minutes later I'm outa there, for free even. I take back some of the things I've said about dealerships -
Old April 13th, 2010, 1:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Hi hydrodriver,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I agree, let's have a complete change of the guard in November! I'm so glad my vehicle doesn't have TPMS. I like my ride stiff, and TPMS probably couldn't compensate for my inflations. Do you think they'll come out with BYNN next?(Blow Your Nose Now) I could really use that. IMO, if you can't check your own tire pressure and fluids, you're in danger of being kicked out of the pick-up club.

If you have E-rated radials, the computer better be ready, because 80PSI's the stock pressure for those tires.

Last edited by therewolf; April 13th, 2010 at 2:07 PM.
Old April 13th, 2010, 6:39 PM
CF Veteran

what was their fix for it?
Old April 13th, 2010, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fix for TPMS

Don't really know what the problem was, it took a couple tries with the handheld tool and finally all four tires chirped - I had too much air in the front, dropped them to 50 PSI.
Back in action for another 10,000 miles I guess.
Old November 13th, 2011, 9:19 PM
JJJ
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hydrodriver
Don't really know what the problem was, it took a couple tries with the handheld tool and finally all four tires chirped - I had too much air in the front, dropped them to 50 PSI.
Back in action for another 10,000 miles I guess.
The manual instructions have a flaw. Here is what worked for me. First make sure your vehicle is out in the open away from nearby signal disturbances. Have all 4 tires at around 40 to 45 psi. With an assistant, use a stopwatch, when relearn mode is active,horn chirps twice,deflate driver front tire for exactly 5 sec. stop and wait for 1 horn chirp. move to passenger front and deflate 5 sec. stop , wait on horn. Remember if more than 2 min. goes by it will time itself out! Do the pass. rear next and wait on horn. Finally do driver rear tire last. It will time out after 2 min. between tires, and starting all over will be necessary. The manual states it will honk once, then 2 times at the end but mine skipped the last tire honk, and honked twice meaning learning mode was finished. But it did work and all tires displayed a psi value at the driver information center. Might take a few tries because of timing out but don't give up. Good Luck! Also some sensors seemed to be much quicker to respond.