Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Side to side play in both front wheels in 2003 Silverado LS

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2011, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again guys, thanks for the help.

I jacked the truck up, had a friend move the wheels while I was under it and it was clear both inner tie rods are shot.

I am pretty sure both front hubs need to be replaced as well.

Whether I am driving on country like roads or on the highway I have a vibrating-humming coming from the front end.

When I am driving in a parking lot or at slow speeds the front end feels "mushy" on tight corners.

Pretty much every time I come to a stop, my ABS goes off during the last 10-15 feet of braking. It's annoying and not safe.

I am in the market for a 3/4 to 1 ton truck. I've been activly searching for the longest time.

At this point it might be most cost effective for me to let it go on a trade-in at a dealership instead of fixing all of the problems then selling it through a private sale.

Parts and labor for the front end could easily near the $1000 area and thats not all my truck needs. I have a bad catylitic converter (or two), it reaks of anti-freeze everytime I turn it off, the A/C compressor blew up on me last summer, neither the tachometer nor the speedometer work (really really annoying!), the rear window defroster doesn't work and for some reason the rear bumper rusted out worse than I've ever seen before. Pretty much just the plastic bits and some chrome tape remain.

On the plus side, I like the 5.3 much much more than Fords 5.4 Triton. That engine sucks the big one. As far as trucks go, I'd love a 99-2003 7.3 liter diesel in a reg cab F350. Too bad everyone that goes for sale in New England is used up and rusted to bits.

Since a new diesel (Chevy or Ford) is out of my price range (and also not cost effective) the 6.0 liter GMC/Chevy engine is hands down my best option. Those motors are cool and they have the ***** to get the job done.

Am I out of my mind to think that I'd do better trading it in for somewhere between $4-5k rather than fix it and ask KBB prices for it?

Again, thank you for the help!
Fawcett
Old November 9th, 2011, 8:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I deffinately wouldn't trade into the dealership. That would be mymlast resort. They will probably short you about 1500$. And the front " mushiness " might be the sway bar inlink bushings. LocAted on the arms. Also a quick easy fix.
Old November 10th, 2011, 8:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fix and sell private, like said dealership is the last resort. Go to rockauto.com, they have the cheapest prices on all parts for your truck. I got moog tie rods for 150 instead of 300 at the o Reilly's in town. Shipped to my door in 4 days
Old November 11th, 2011, 8:30 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fix it yourself in the driveway and sell for KBB value. You'll get hosed if you trade it into the dealership!!