Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado 1500 Chirping?

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2014 | 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Silverado 1500 Chirping?

Hey All,

Heres my problem, I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500. 4x4, extended cab, short bed. 146,500 miles on her. Runs like a champ. Only problem is when I accelerate up to about 25mph or until I get out of 2ndish gear, I hear a chirping noise. It sounds a squeak, and a tapping, as if my exhaust (Not the problem, but example) is vibrating against the truck?
I read this could be a wheel bearing? I have a rebuilt trans with under 15k on it, done by a reputable place.
I only hear the noise when im on the gas, not when im coasting?
Can anyone weigh in?
Old July 3rd, 2014 | 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Does your noise get faster with the speed of the truck or faster with the rpm's of the engine? If it's only chirping when your foot is on the gas, i wouldn't think it was a wheel bearing because a wheel bearing would continue to make noise whether your foot was on the gas or not. I just started a thread about a similar noise here:

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/ava...60/#post279615

I posted yesterday on the Avalanche Club forum and one person told me it sounded like transmission. Since the 4L60e tranny has been used in many Chevy models, I posted here, on the Chevrolet forum, to reach a broader audience. I'll be sure to share any info I find with you.
Old July 3rd, 2014 | 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ken_W
Does your noise get faster with the speed of the truck or faster with the rpm's of the engine? If it's only chirping when your foot is on the gas, i wouldn't think it was a wheel bearing because a wheel bearing would continue to make noise whether your foot was on the gas or not. I just started a thread about a similar noise here:

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/ava...60/#post279615

I posted yesterday on the Avalanche Club forum and one person told me it sounded like transmission. Since the 4L60e tranny has been used in many Chevy models, I posted here, on the Chevrolet forum, to reach a broader audience. I'll be sure to share any info I find with you.
Ya its only on the gas, and I guess when the speed goes up it gets higher. So its not like when It gets to 2000RPMs in first gear its high, then drops to a lower noise in lower RPMs in second gear. Its a steady increase. It eventually goes away at like 30mph

0 effect on performance at all
Old July 3rd, 2014 | 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't notice the correlation to rpm's at first. It seemed like the noise got faster with speed. Yesterday I took it to a very quite residential street with a long gentle hill and drove back and forth like I described in my post on the Avalanche side. It was only when accelerating very slowly up hill that I heard the difference as it shifted into 2nd. Also, I could hear that the noise was faster going up hill slowly, at higher RPM's, than going downhill faster, at lower RPM's.

Si I'm making a wild guess here, but, I'm thinking that everything between the transmission and the wheels spins in relation to the mph, and everything from the transmission to the engine spins in relation to rpm? So a noise that changes frequency in relation to rpm must come from engine transmission area and a noise that relates to mph would be driveshaft/u-joints/differential? Of course I'm only dealing with 2WD, your 4WD adds a bunch more stuff that can squeak.

Of course let me just say that I am NOT a mechanic and have ZERO experience with any of this. But I've never been one to let my total ignorance stop me from F'ing things up!