Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado 3500HD TPMS

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2011, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado 3500HD TPMS

I have researched for a few weeks and can't find any reasons why some 2011 3500 trucks have TPMS and some don't (comparing trucks with LTZ package). The few dealers I have talked with don't know the answer either. Anyone have any insights or technical information on this question?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 2:25 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

tr-truck, I would like to investigate into this issue for you. I will be direct messaging you shortly about this.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 5th, 2011, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default No tire pressure notice???

I've had my 3500 with LTZ package for 5 days now... I just discovered today that it doesn't have any tire pressure sensor icon on the dash. When I turn it on, I don't see anything... and of course when I go thru the DIC there is nothing about tires.

WTF.... I have it on BOTH of my other Chevs... I "assumed" that it would be on my new TOWING vehicle....

I am going back to the Dealer at 8 am tomorrow!!!!!!
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

Bill31,
Thanks for your reply on this topic. One of the facts I found out is that all new cars and trucks now must have a tire pressure monitoring system mandated by federal law. But, if the vehicle is over 10,000 GVW then it is exempt from the law. I think that is one thing in play here.
The interesting thing in my case is that I have been working with GM customer service and the dealer for 3 weeks and no one has answers. No one as of yet can tell me why the system is not there (or not activiated). Some of the folks have said it IS there. I will post back when they resolve this for me.
By the way, I have it on my other chevy's too and I really like it. Been using it for 7 years and it has always worked well (have replaced a few sensors but it works well).
I wish you luck in getting yours fixed too. Would like to hear what happens.
tr-truck
Old March 6th, 2011, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Angry TPMS is missing

I spent two hours at my dealer today. Some of the sales guys had an "idea" why my truck didn't have TPMS. A couple of them insisted that it DID have it. And the rest said that I must have not ordered it. So basically, total confusion.

I think that it's becoming clear that any vehicle over 10k GVW is NOT required to have it. And that is all 3500 trucks. And GM is not about to include it unless you pay up-front.

I asked whether it was included on my truck, and maybe the feature in the DIC needed to be activated. A couple of guys said, "maybe" and a couple others said "no way, it's not there".

I'm really disappointed.... seriously... This is my TOWING vehicle - dang it!!!

The only consolidation (apparently) is that one of the sales guys told me to be sure to mention it in my comments when I receive the questionnaire... but also, to be sure to say on everything, that I was "Extremely Satisfied". Yeah, right.
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:20 PM
CF Beginner

Interesting news... The Dealer called today and is willing to let me trade my 3500HD for a 2500HD -- that way I'd have the TPMS. Are there there any reasons why I shouldn't do this? My towing package is always under 8,000 lbs.
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Bill31, for me, I need the full capacity of the 3500 for towing. If a trade to the 2500 works for you and you are happy then I don't see a reason not to do it. At least your dealer is trying to help.
I am still waiting for answers from GM for me. I told them I am not happy until I get answers and really want the system. Seems like they can't find anyone that knows anything about this. I will post back when I get information...
Old March 16th, 2011, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default No Good

I just got off the phone with GM customer service for about the 10th time and I think they are tired of me. They basicly told me I am out of luck and there is nothing they can do...
No better luck and any dealer including where I bought the truck.
Basically, someone at GM decided to discontinue the TPMS on vehicles over 10k GVW. They used to have it, but after some people complained that the monitor would alert of low pressure when they let pressure out of the tires for a smoother ride. I am a very unhappy customer with them telling me "sorry, nothing we can do..."
I guess when I buy all my next vehicles from another company I can tell them "I am sorry but someone at GM made the decision for me to buy cars and trucks somewhere else..."
Old March 20th, 2011, 7:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c'mon guys TPMS is no really important!!! I upgraded from 18 to 20" wheels and thank's to the parts guy at the dealer I didn't install the TPMS on the new wheels and everything is working like a charm, the only thing annoying is the stupid light at the dash but I took care of that already, but hey just check the tire pressure every once in a while and you will be fine, old school just don't be lasy leave that for the ladies