Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Silverado Navigation HELP!

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2011 | 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Question Silverado Navigation HELP!

I recently purchased a GM In Dash Navigation system for my 2008 Silverado 1500 and I had some questions. My truck just has the standard radio with XM nothing special and I am being told 100 different things about installing a factory navigation in my truck. I called a dealer today and they told me I will need another wiring harness for the nav and that I need a amplifier as well. However, they said I could not purchase either of these from them. I have also heard that the unit has the amp built in to it, but then I have heard only aftermarket navs do and not the factory gm nav. I called Denso the manufacturer and they told me to talk to the dealer that they dont deal with customers only dealers, so I am lost. Will I need anything special to put this unit in? I only have the unit, map CD, and GPS antenna. Somebody help me out!!

Thanks,
Bryan
Old March 9th, 2011 | 7:16 AM
CF Active Member

sounds like you have everything you need except the vss wire It senses the speed so it works with the gps, it hooks to the back of the unit to the fuse block by your left foot but I cant remember which wire. I know it was green & on the back side if said box. Mine went right in but that was 4 years ago some have to take it to the dealer to get it programed but I didn't.
Old March 9th, 2011 | 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Do you know where I can get the wiring? I dont know anything about these and today another dealer told me it wont work because I dont have the bose system upgrade in my truck. Did you have the bose in your pickup when you added the nav? The said it flat would not work with what is in my truck. Before I sell it or put a ton of money into it trying to have someone figure it out I wanna make sure if it will work or not.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old March 10th, 2011 | 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Ok I just plugged the Nav unit into my pickup to see if it would even work. When I did the screen sayes locked on it. I realize the dealers want me to bring it in but I have an unlock code to put in it but I am not sure how to get the screen to where I can enter the code. Any ideas??

Bryan
Old March 11th, 2011 | 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Bryan i just sent my nav unit to cps audio/video in california. I tried to install mine, it would work but the volume was very low. I did not have bose. I called greg at cps and he told me to send him the unit, my vin#, and my rpo codes and he could get it to work just like factory. The dealer also could not get it programmed correctly. When I talked to cps he told me he has a bench tester for denso and there are tricks to make it work and the gm techs arent trained to do it. I will report back in about a week if it works, or not, I think it will Greg seems to know what he is talking about!!!!!
Old March 12th, 2011 | 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Definately let me know since I am being told the exact same thing you were told. They said since I didnt have the bose I didnt have the amp to power the nav and everything and it wouldnt work. Let me know and I will send mine off as well.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old March 14th, 2011 | 9:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by nicholsfiver
Definately let me know since I am being told the exact same thing you were told. They said since I didnt have the bose I didnt have the amp to power the nav and everything and it wouldnt work. Let me know and I will send mine off as well.

Thanks,
Bryan
it will absolutly work. You you do need a VSS harness as the poster above sent. Sending it to CPS is probably the easiest way to get it done, but a dealership can do it if they know how.
Old March 20th, 2011 | 10:55 PM
CF Active Member

What is the big deal here? print the instructions that shawnvw posted for unlocking the navigation unit, take them to a different dealer and tell them to follow the instructions and it will work, it works every time, unless you really need a head unit that is for a non BOSE truck, this issue is old and if you look in this forum you will find a ton of info, get the VSS harness from ebay it is really easy to install, for now here's a picture of the fricking VSS wire at the junction box, tap in to it and you will be fine.
let us know if you have any questions.
Old March 21st, 2011 | 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

I got a call from greg at cps and I am quiet frustrated. I contacted him a few months ago and he said he could get any nav unit to work in any make or model that he had a bench tester and it was tedious but it could be done. I sent him my rpo codes and vin along with head unit part number. He told me to send it on, then he calls and tells me that I dont have the proper head unit with an amp internally. I was like wtf. Frustrated I tell ya but semi good news is he has put together a plug and play amp that fits behind the glove box. so I purchased that and waiting to get it. Thing is my dealer had already programmed the unit but it had low volume and everything worked except that. I could have saved the money on programming had I known this. I thought I had the vss wire but looking at the pic I dont know. The unit I have came in a kit with everything they said I needed. The wire was green/white and said to plug into the orange conector. the pic doesnt look like mine. Can any one elaborate on this.
Old March 21st, 2011 | 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jc67
I got a call from greg at cps and I am quiet frustrated. I contacted him a few months ago and he said he could get any nav unit to work in any make or model that he had a bench tester and it was tedious but it could be done. I sent him my rpo codes and vin along with head unit part number. He told me to send it on, then he calls and tells me that I dont have the proper head unit with an amp internally. I was like wtf. Frustrated I tell ya but semi good news is he has put together a plug and play amp that fits behind the glove box. so I purchased that and waiting to get it. Thing is my dealer had already programmed the unit but it had low volume and everything worked except that. I could have saved the money on programming had I known this. I thought I had the vss wire but looking at the pic I dont know. The unit I have came in a kit with everything they said I needed. The wire was green/white and said to plug into the orange conector. the pic doesnt look like mine. Can any one elaborate on this.

I spoke with Gregg also and I sent mine off last week, but he told me that he would install an amp that mounts behind the glove box and he would install the vss cable and I would just have to tap into it which he would send me detailed instructions on how to do it. You might get an answer here from Quetranpa which it appear we are frustrating him with our ingnorance, but if anyone else has some actual useful info that would be great.

Quick Reply: Silverado Navigation HELP!