Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado Straight Pipe, Bad?

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2012, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado Straight Pipe, Bad?

I currently have stock exhaust on my chevy silverado 4.8 l v8. I was looking to make my pick up louder a friend recommended i cut out my muffler, weld a peice of pipe in, and add a tip. However i have heard some bad things about things, does anyone have any light to shine on this situation? I was wondering if it had any effect in hp or fuel economy or torque. Also, would it have any negative effects on the engine? I have also heard the cab drone is quite bad. Any info on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old December 4th, 2012, 8:07 PM
CF Senior Member

yes it will pretty dang loud and inside the cab is pretty bad, but if you like it loud can't get much louder than that. Now are you just cutting muffler off or are you cutting cats off too. Just muffler not that bad to truck. I would recommend if you want loud to put a new muffler in there and cut cats out and weld a pipe in place for them because you will get loud like you want but it will also sound pretty good. No muffler=terrible sound. Both are not good for valves but wouldn't worry bout it too much and with no cats it will throw an o2 sensor but that not that big of a deal either
Old December 5th, 2012, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

One of the guys I work with has a 5.3L and he just cut the muffler out a couple of weeks ago, and to my surprise it was not that loud, I was expecting much louder. I have heard much louder from different mufflers, anything 2 chamber will be very loud, as for engine codes, he has not mentioned anything yet that it has thrown a code, but this is on a 99 gmc serria, not sure about a newer truck if it would be the same. The sound coming out of the truck sounds pretty good with out the muffler, nice rumble but not abnoxious. Hopefully that helps
Old December 5th, 2012, 3:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

won't throw a code if you're just cuttin the muffler out. Although it'll sound like dog crap. may gain some hp but not near enough to notice it