Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado Tire Monitoring Sensors

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2011, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado Tire Monitoring Sensors

I recently had to have my truck serviced for a "Service Tire Monitoring System" warning. The tire sensors had to be reprogrammed because I had the rear tires replaced. The service cost $50. Does this mean I have to take the truck in to reprogram the sensors every time I rotate or replace the tires?
Old May 8th, 2011, 5:59 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Nope, you can relearn the tire sensor positions via the DIC. You can look up the exact procedure in your owners manual. Just follow it and you will be good to go. Make sure you have an air source to raise or lower the tire pressure. I use a needle valve removal tool when doing mine. When I try to just let air out it never seems to release enough pressure to make the sensors read the process fast enough, should take less than two minutes.....
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:11 AM
CF Active Member

I don't see why someone had to reprogram your sensors. Generally they give a warning for two things: too much air pressure or too little air pressure. Unless your obsessive compulsive and there are a lot of people around with that trait, you only need a warning for when the tires are too low and there is no real need to reset that. The other issue that is a bit nagging is when you pur tires on that go over 50 pounds pressure and then the warning keeps coming on.

Now, I've seen tires that the paper work says pressure to 45 and then everyone recommends you go to 65 or something, but I don't need to feel every bump in the road to save a buck of gas on a 100 mile trip.
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you just got ripped off by the dealer that's all!!!
welcome to the forum by the way!!!
Old May 9th, 2011, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by e
Nope, you can relearn the tire sensor positions via the DIC. You can look up the exact procedure in your owners manual. Just follow it and you will be good to go. Make sure you have an air source to raise or lower the tire pressure. I use a needle valve removal tool when doing mine. When I try to just let air out it never seems to release enough pressure to make the sensors read the process fast enough, should take less than two minutes.....

Thanks CF. Good to know.
Old May 12th, 2011, 2:22 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I hope you don't have to pay for this kind of service again. There a lot of processes in the owners manual that should help you from going to the dealer for smaller services like this one. Good to see the community was able to assist you with this.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:49 AM
CF Junior Member

One of the main reasons to reset the TPMS system is so you know which tire is reading low.