Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado trans slips....at times

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2009, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado trans slips....at times

New guy here. Got a 2002 Silverado 2wd with a 5.3 liter engine. The trans will slip in and out of gear going from 2nd to 3rd gear. This only happens when I'm easy on the throttle. If I hit it hard it seems to shift normally. Also when going 60 mph and I nail it, she'll drop into 2nd and slip also. Anyone else with this problem? Any comments?
It has a Gibson SS exhaust,K&N cold air box, and a Granatelli air flow sensor, and a Granatelli Diablo Flash tuner which is now in the normal setting, no tune on the engine.
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Have you checked the fluid levels? when was the last time the trans filter & fluid changed? How many miles are on it?
Old September 17th, 2009, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Level is ok. never changed filter or trans fluid.Got 103K. I'll be changing plugs, wires and fuel filter this weekend. 1st time for that. Looks like I'll be doing the trans next weekend.
Old September 17th, 2009, 4:07 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Well hopefully its just a clogged trans filter, trans work gets expensive if there is damage.
Old September 17th, 2009, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Funny story

Was fillin' my 1/2 ton Chev at the local BP last weekend when a mid 40's guy comes pulling in with a little honda crossover and while he is putting the nozzle in his ride, looks over at me and says" Gas guzzler, huh?" I was left speechless for a brief moment. My reply was "How big of a boat can you tow with that piece of $#it". He slowly turned his back to me and our little conversation abruptly ended.
What a putz........................Ed
Old September 17th, 2009, 4:18 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

lol, I always say "hey, lets tie our rear bumpers together and see who pulls who down the street" I would probably rip the hondas styrofoam bumper right off tho.

No offence to Honda, they do make great economy cars that last a long time.
Old September 17th, 2009, 4:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, has Mr. Honda increased his fuel economy over 50% in HIS vehicle? A lot of us "gas guzzlers" have. I hear a lot about factory MPG from these frauds, but nothing about what they do to IMPROVE their vehicle's factory MPG.

Let that conscience-salving jerk go on. You won't see him helping his friends move or do large landscaping projects with his(hack-hack) Honda.

I wonder if Mr. Ecology is aware that his hot-poo Honda leaves a larger carbon footprint than your pickup truck?

Buncha hyppies...
Old September 17th, 2009, 4:46 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by rivereye

buncha hyppies...
lmao!
Old September 20th, 2009, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Strangest thing! After changing out the plugs and wires I decided to disconnect my after market (Granatelli ) MAF.Took her for a 10 min. spin and the trans shifts normally. ....What the??
I'll remove it this afternoon, clean it and reinstall to see if that makes a difference. It's been on the truck for aprox 100K without being looked at. I can always put the OEM back on.
After the test drive I did have the trans flushed and filter changed.............Ed
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM
CF Senior Member

what i was going to chime in with was that little "slip"or burp, sounds like it wants to shift but the computer second guesses itself and kinda hesitates. my first suggestion was to save all your radio presets and stuff and disconnect the battery for like 45 minutes or something. then drive around and see how it goes. if it was going ok after that little battery disconnect. then my guess would be the computer learned your driving habbit but kinda messed it up. then when you mentioned about the maf and how you disconnected it and it ran fine. that was the next best thing. computer sees something funky with the air flow or something decides to shift the trans funky. just my two and one quarter cents.

Quick Reply: Silverado trans slips....at times