Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

silverado turned 100k

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2009, 8:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default silverado turned 100k

well... as much as i know it doesnt matter, i always loved how my truck was still at teh five digit for miles. but today, i got video of the rollover to its 100k bday. to celebrate its rollover its getting its usual oil change and a long and well deserved wash. as well as full detail and later the summer some painting... and new rims (when i get to them.) see... i had a thread about me painting some rims... but you see i bought a 1984 honda atc 200s, and well when i get something i tweak it. stiffer clutches, new jetted carb, paint job. its in my dna to mod things lol. so me being me. i wanna share the vid. and i want to hear if anyone had issues or heard scary stories as the vehicle hit the 100k.

rollover video...
http://s651.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV00022.flv

fyi... music is loud an yea... turn the volume down lol.
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, if you don't change drivebelt/belts, trannie filter, all the fluids, and check brakes out.
mine hit 100K about 2 mths ago, i just honked on the freeway. but changed belt few weeks ago.
fluids are so iffing best, changed at 60K, that i am not worried.
Old June 7th, 2009, 3:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There's a club for guys with 500K miles on their trucks. Here's wishing you 400K more...
Old June 7th, 2009, 9:49 AM
Super Moderator

I just hit 205,000 today and still going strong!
Old June 7th, 2009, 6:58 PM
CF Senior Member

yeah. at 85k i did the trans pan and filter and full flush. i think ill do it again next sunday. i did teh belt twice. i got one of them all nasty with a chemical so replaced it. i do the rear diff every 10k miles. jut did it today hehehe. it pays to work at a jiffy lube. synthetic diff lube, i wish i had more synthetic mobil one trans fluid... and yeah. but wow 205k. interesting. i know a guy that has a 93 i think silverado. 350k when i did his oil change. i asked him if he ever replaced anything major and he said its origional motor and trans, does a fuel filter every 50k miles and trans flush every 100k miles and radiator flush every 100k. and that thing was a fine runnin machine. i already told myself that im keepin this truck and being buried in it. when this motor goes (hopefully when i have enough dough) twin 20 mm turbos and mild boost with 4l80e and a 14 bolt rear. that or just a stroker. but its going to be 500- up hp/tq. hehe.
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM
CF Active Member

i used to work at a truck shop and one of the delivery trucks had 490K original miles before it slipped out of park, rolled down a hill and hit a tree with a 3406 cat engine in the back. the guy that drove the pickup was heart-broken he really wanted to get it to half a mill. the secret to long life, that truck hauled parts 200 miles 5 days a week. short trips are killers
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
CF Senior Member

well, though i am honestly envious to all those great running nicely made machines owners, i ain't got one. not a month without trouble.

but i got the wiff of general idea about "reliability" of those trucks even from here posts. tune is: "nothing major" and "original powertrain". indeed, i have seen seized engine only once, and even that we fixed in the street.

somehow, though, no one tends to mention that trucks are not just powertrains. that the rest of what makes it up to be a complete car, not just engine and transmission, ain't worse a flip. i am over exaggerating? well, then read all the posts here....

so yes, i did not have major repairs myself. just annoying this and that continuously. bet ya money, should i have not done it all myself, would be closing on what i paid for truck in shop costs. i had taurus like this - paid $1100 for it, cost me $4700 in repairs, including new engine. i, also, had 02 CR-V - in 100 000 miles, replaced fuel tank cap. beat that, Chevy owners.

so, happy owners, i bow and envy - but i already put feelers out there for new gen Tacoma. i am tired of this school for treeshade mechanic that i own.
Old June 8th, 2009, 1:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ukrkoz, you seem to have really gotten a shotty deal, and we can all tell you're bitter; it rings in all of your posts. Just know that not all chevy trucks are like that. Sure, plenty of people post here with questions, concerns, and repairs, but think of all the other people out there having absolutely no problems with their chevy pickup.
Old June 9th, 2009, 5:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My grandmother has a 1991 chevy single cab with a 4.3 V6. She has 155k and never replaced anything except for the spark plugs. Chevy does build reliable trucks. Or they used to anyway, the newest chevy I've ever owned or driven (long term) was a 1998 so I can't say anything about the new ones. My pickup has 189k on all the original powertrain. The only thing that needed to be replaced while I and the previous owner had it was the alternator, fuel pump, plugs, wires, radiator, and fuel pressure regulator. That's not much in 189k. My parents camry has 202k and all it needed was a timing belt. That's even harder to beat.