Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

silveraldo 07 torioon bar removal?

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2011, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silveraldo 07 torioon bar removal?

Is there a trick or tool or lots a hammering to bars out of keys?
I'm trying to install a leveling kit/
Thanks
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you even have torsion bars in that truck? if so you will def need a key
I guess we need way more info in order to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Lift up the front end to take some pressure off of the torsion bars, take off the wheels, then support the lower control arm. Then u need a J-36202 Torsion Bar Unloader tool, i think autozone has em (i dont like autozone at all though), and unloade the bars. take off the the adj. bolt and retaining plate. slide the torsion bar forward to remove the adjusting arms. then disconnect the torsion bar crossmember, so that you can slide the crossmember backwards. Then you can take out the torsion bars then the crossmembers. - taken from Chilton, get one if you dont already have one.
Coming from me though dont put on the leveling kit, you will spend more money on repairs for steering and ball joints, than you would if you had bought a full 4 in. suspension. I learned this the hard way, im running out of money now on repairs, and i work with the truck daily to keep the front end in shape. the tie rods bend up and the boots on the ball joints break. the rubber shock absorber will bend your shocks, and your tires will wear unevenly. doesnt hit you till about a year after, and the ride is ROUGH. so honestly i would sell the kit if you already bought it. If you desire the lift look then buy the whole deal. Just dont want you to go thru what i am gettin into
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:59 PM
e
CF Senior Member

2007 2500? If so, than yes....he has torsion bars. You will need a tool to unload and reload the keys, but be very careful in which brand of keys you use. GM was famous for using different torison bars which are indexed at different angles. These can be identified by the different color paint markings on the bars. Using the wrong indexed key could cause you to over torque the bars leading to a harsh ride. Also make sure your kit has shock extensions as well, they are needed.

After you have SAFELY removed the adjustment bolt and retainer (with a key removal tool), you sometimes need to tap the bars out of the keys to free them up. Once the keys are unloaded the torison bars are no longer under any pressure.
Old April 24th, 2011, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Silveraldo k1500 2007 torsion

Thanks Ihave used a modified bearing puller and unloaded the keys and removed the key adjuster assembly.The torsion bars are seized/rusted to the torsion keys,was going to use heat buit will wd40 it for a week,had the front end blocked up.Its a 2 inch level kit by skyjacker and have bilstein 5100's already in for the level kit (0-2") front and (0-1inch) rear.If the whole assembly,torsion bars and crossmember does comeout in 1 part ,I would rather do that as to not ruin insolators by hammering.I was going to make a tool to preload/tension the bars from the key then hammer.
Why can't the torsion bars just slide out jeeezzz.
Thanks muchly