Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

so now supposedly oil changes every 5k miles

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2012, 3:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default so now supposedly oil changes every 5k miles

Or so the jiffy lube guys who take care of my work van are trying to tell me that. Does anyone here change your oil every 5k? I would think the oil would be way too broken ddown by then and not lubricate as well. But they say for years everybody was being **** and being over cautious.

Any thoughts?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 3:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe my owners manual recommends closer to 7k. Four this reason I went to mobile one filters so I knew I would have protection for a longer period.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 4:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do 7-8k. 3k is changin it way to early and over cautious IMO. Oil isn't like it used to be, it lubricates very well and doesn't break down near as easy
Old June 3rd, 2012, 4:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by country_09
I do 7-8k. 3k is changin it way to early and over cautious IMO. Oil isn't like it used to be, it lubricates very well and doesn't break down near as easy
Thats about right with an SHC (syntheic hydrocarbon oil). I would, however change the filter at half life, 7500 miles with a full SHC oil.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 5:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

My owners manual calls for every 7,000 miles. I have changed the oil and filter every 4,000 miles and after 166,000 miles it runs like new. It is well worth the investment in oil to get an engine that runs that good.
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

I change mine about every 4-5k and mine uses a little oil so its always about time to change it anyways. Still runs like a champ at 243K. How much more are you going to spend to do it a 5k instead of 7k plus you have peace of mind knowing that your engine is properly lubricated.
Old June 4th, 2012, 2:31 PM
CF Active Member

I use Mobil 1 with a K&N filter and change it every 6000 miles. For me that's only once a year on my truck.
Old June 4th, 2012, 6:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am "old school" when it comes to oil & filter changes. I always change it between 3000 and 3500 miles, whether it needs it or not. Mobil-1 synthetic is my oil of choice, and I know that I could go a lot longer......but it is cheap insurance in my mind.

IMHO, you can never change your oil too often -- and most all of us fall under "severe" driving conditions, especially those of us who reside in urban/suburban areas.
Old June 5th, 2012, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

My owners manual service & maintenance schedule lists an engine oil & filter change at 7,500 mile intervals under either normal or severe service.

The vehicle computer system indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on a combination of factors which include engine revolutions, engine temperature, and miles driven. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably.
Old June 5th, 2012, 5:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Change Intervals

In my '04 Silverado, the "Change Engine Oil" message has nothing to do with the condition or quality of the motor oil. It is set to alert me strictly by mileage and comes on every xxxx miles of driving - no matter what the condition of the oil might happen to be.

7,500 miles between oil changes is too long, in my opinion, and I have seen engines run a long, long time with more frequent drain intervals. It is also important to use a good oil filter for maximum engine protection.

I bought a Ford Econoline SuperVan brand new back in 1990 and used synthetic oil (Mobil-1, etc.) with changes every 5,000 miles (once a month for me, as I used it for a delivery truck). I drove it nearly 200,000 miles in less than four years before selling it when I upgraded to a much larger diesel-powered International truck. The guy who bought it from me kept on driving it as a delivery truck and he changed the oil & filter every 5,000 miles until it finally died in the summer of 2000.

Yes, it ran TEN YEARS and had over 500,000 miles on the original 302 (5.0L) V8 engine! He replaced the automatic tranny twice, the alternator once and the A/C system once. The whole truck sort of fell apart, but with half a million miles on the darn thing.

I've always believed - and will continue to do so - that frequent oil & filter changes are the best "cheap insurance" to keep a vehicle running long after the payments have ceased to be made.

P.S. We have International diesel trucks at work -- three of which have more than 500,000 miles on them!

Quick Reply: so now supposedly oil changes every 5k miles