Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Spare Key Problem

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2020, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Key Problem

I recently purchased a 2017 Siverado extended cab 4wd. I took it to a locksmith specializing in programmable keys
to have a spare key made.Nothing he tried could make the key work. He assures me it is the right key for the truck.
I have tried several options I have seen online but all I get is a "service theft deterrent system" message.
Short of taking it back to the dealer is there anything I can do.
Old July 8th, 2020, 7:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 234 Posts

I’m guessing you only got one key with the truck? Or did one of the keys not work? GM changed the quick key learn procedure beginning with the 2017 trucks - you have to have 2 keys already programmed to initiate the quick learn and add more keys, otherwise it won’t work.

I don’t know if this will work for you since there’s a service theft deterrent system message, but if the locksmith didn’t try it, it might be worth a shot. This is the long procedure for learning keys - it’s the same procedure used since the passlock days if you’re familiar with it.

1) Hook up a trickle charger to make sure this doesn’t drain the battery.
2) Use the key to be programmed to turn the ignition on - observe the security indicator light (ignore the service theft deterrent system message) - it should be on steady. Leave the ignition on for about 10 minutes or until the security indicator light turns off, then turn the ignition off for about 10 seconds.
3) Repeat this cycle 2 more times and the relearn should be complete.

If the security indicator doesn’t go out after 15 minutes on the first attempt, this procedure will not work. You don’t have to go to a dealer, but you will need a shop with an advanced scan tool in order to program the key correctly.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I tried this and it didn't work.
The security light never goes out. Tried timing it and that didn't
work either.
Looks like I'm destined to return to the dealer.