Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Speedometer is Whacked as well

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2006, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer is Whacked as well

While Im looking for solutions, I might as well ask about speedo problems. My Speedo only works some of the time. It started out slow, occasionaly getting stuck around 60, and numerous false starts of the key would reset it. (you know how the speedo will dip and reset to zero when ignition is turned on). This seemed to work but it was only temporary. Now, it is doing it more frequently, and at times it doesnt even register a speed. Seems how I am having ground issues with my ABS, is this also a ground issue? I have seen other forums that say the speedos on 04 chevys are faulty, and that it is a known issue, with the only fix being a new speedo, which runs around 700 dollars for parts and reprogramming. I have seen a guy on ebay who will fix yours and reprogram it for around 110 bucks...has anyone else had this problem, and is a new speedo the only way to fix it? And if its a known problem, how much money does Chevy have to filch out of us for a faulty product before they do a recall? Any ideas and or suggestions are welcomed.

Chris
Old November 16th, 2006, 1:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Speedometer is Whacked as well

You've got the problem nailed. Bad stepper motors. I shipped mine to Digital Dash Solutions in CT (The ebay guy) to have it REPAIRED. Not a new unit. I should get mine back from him tomorrow in the mail. Everything I've read said Chevy would ding you for $500 to fix it. DDS will get you back in business with a year warranty for under $140.00 including insured shipping both ways. As for chevy, they won't do a recall until somebody gets killed over it or the NHTSA makes them.
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Hi,

I have had less severe issue with by 03 Suburban speedo.

Are you a habitual Cruise Control user? I found mine stuck after using Cruise Control
Old January 31st, 2007, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem with my Impala...would this affect the tach also? They both went wacky at the same time.
Old February 1st, 2007, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

Sent mine in to carl at speedometer repair service on ebay... Did the upgrade to escalade cluster, this added the Tranny temp guage and some chrome. Extremely happy with the unit and the service.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:32 AM
CF Beginner

woops sorry.. I just posted about this.... I should have done a better search.. anyways.. my Silverado is doing the same thing. It's only got 47128 miles on it. It started doing it about 4 weeks ago. Chevy qouted me a one time price of $500 to fix it because I was told they have had so many people having this problem, they just charge the one time fee. If there are so many of us, why can't we write to someone to have this fixed. It's really not fair..