Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

starting issues like battery is dead.

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issues like battery is dead.

Here is my problem I need help with ..I have a silverado 2001 v8/ 5 speed and it starts right up without any issues and drives fine. However if I turn it off and let it sit for few minutes then either its hard to start like if the battery was dead or will not start at all . Same problem kind of like if the battery was dead will not even turn over. If I wait few more minutes ,then starts but then again hard as if the battery was really weak.
Any ideas what should I look foor. Is't kind of wierd becuase if the battery was totaly shot ,then it should not start or charge.
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM
CF Junior Member

possible alternator problems? maybe it doesn't work properly and after the charge is used one time to start it, it doesn't ahve enough power to let the engine turn over. thats my best guess without being about to see it and experience the problem.or it could simply just be a bad battery. hope this helps.
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

See if I let it sit over night it works just fine ,and after it drives the voltage remains around 12~13V and I do not see a battery indicator to let me believe the problem could be the alternator.
Old January 28th, 2010, 5:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Level the playing field by changing the big three. The positive and negative cables are fairly easy, but the engine to firewall ground strap is such a doozy, what I did was install a ground wire from the bolt on my dipstick guide to a bolt on the passenger firewall.

Just measure the distance and get a #4 gauge negative cable with two bolt fittings for a ground cable.

Have you tested the battery? Is it the original? (Don't laugh, some folks still have the original batteries on trucks that old.)
Old January 28th, 2010, 9:25 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace the bolts at the battery in the cable ends. They cause many electrical problems in GM.
Old January 28th, 2010, 9:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does your battery meter say in your dash cluster? and have you put a voltage tester to check how many amps your alternator is putting out and how many volts your battery really has instead of just going off your battery meter. just suggestions
Old January 28th, 2010, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the inputs...I will check on all of them..I thought the problem is kind of weird ....I just started and it came right on ,but I'm sure if I drive 10 or 15 miles ;it will start acting up like if the battery is about to die. It did it the other day where I made only two stops after driving for a while and on the last stop it was totally dead. I waited about 3 minutes it started with some difficulties.
Old January 28th, 2010, 9:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is one of the exact symptoms of bad bolts. You can not always see the problem with them. They will be less than $10.00 and take less than 5 min to replace. It is easier than guessing and testing a whole bunch of stuff.
Old January 29th, 2010, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

I will try the bolts first as it seems the most logical,and easiest thing to do first...I will keep you all posted with what I find.
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM
CF Active Member

Ive had the same problem a few times on my other GM's, its always been a bad starter motor that dies when its hot, or the battery cable bolts or connections, unless something happened that you have the timing way over advanced but i think your year doesnt have a distributor.

Last edited by racerx55; January 29th, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: starting issues like battery is dead.