Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Stiff steering

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2012, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff steering

I have a 2000 Z-71 Silverado. I was told that I needed a new pitman and idler arm. My "former" mechanic replaced the pitman arm and I noticed that the steering had become very stiff. He of course said there was nothing wrong. I know my truck, it was not right. He then replaced the idler arm, just the idler arm and not the assembly. He cracked the assembly when trying to remove the idler arm with a ball joint fork. I learned later that the whole idler arm and assembly should be removed at the same time. He then replaced the assembly with a used one and no change in the steering. So, I bought a Moog assembly and replaced the used one. My steering is still noticably stiff. If you are traveling and move the wheel either to the left or right it will remain in one position... very stiff. Not sure what to do next... anybody else have this problem?... requesting further instuctions at this time...PLEASE!!!
Arturo
Old July 3rd, 2012, 3:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Your power steering box could be worn out. I was having the problem and I could here sounds coming from the box and I replaced my pitman arm idler arm and power steering box and it fixed it. The pitman arm and idler arm should make it a tiny bit stiffer cause there won't be any play left in the wheel
Old October 6th, 2020, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stiff Steering

Hi, I have similar problem with my Tahoe 2004. I have replaced all front suspension and still have not only stiff steering but also I can hear a noise of metal with metal when I steer either way.
I buy much online and I find most rebuild. Is rebuild a good choice?
Are there any other parts that are recommended to replace when changing the steering box?

Juan.

Last edited by JuanR1974; October 6th, 2020 at 6:21 PM. Reason: missing info