Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

1999 K1500 Suburban Steering Box connect

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2008, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 K1500 Suburban Steering Box connect

On a 1999 4x4 Suburban, replacing ball joints(upper and lower both sides),both tie rods, pitman arm, and Idler arm.

Need help!

Started work this weekend but stuck on something. I had to remove the steering box to get the pitman arm off and the new one on and torqued down to specs (170lbs.. ugg). It went back in but I cant get the steering column to seat fully on the slotted stud coming out of the steering box. I've got the compression collar at the end of the steering column as loose as i feel comfortable (dont want to back the screw out all the way, or can you?). It still has about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch to go before it is fully seated. It is lined up correctly and did go partly on. Any suggestions?

Also, is there any way to tell if the steering dampener is worn? This is what attaches to the idler arm and bolts to the frame(maybe called a idler-arm mounting bracket instead of a dampener). Since I am changing the idler arm and I have the dampener, I want to to this at the same time if necessary. Picture of the part included below.

Name:  idlerarm.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  6.0 KB
The lower ball joints have to be pressed in on a 4x4 by a shop, what a pain!

Thanks loads.
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Response

Remove the bolt completely, then lightly tap on the flexiblejoint just above splined connection, make sure the splines are aligned first so no damage occurs. If they are not aligned you can bump the pitman arm (prior to attaching the stud to steering linkage) and hold the steering columb from above to obtain alignment. Looking down on the steering columb the pinchbolt head is at 12 o'clock aligned with the power steering line on the steering box, the flat of the shaft on the box is on the bottom or 6 o'clock at least thats how mine was oriented. I loosly mounted the box to the frame first, the frigin box is heavy and a bitch to do alone, it's possible but an extra pair of hands will help alot.

Last edited by Eddiet20; January 8th, 2012 at 11:16 PM.