Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Strange Ticking sound coming from my Engine

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Ticking sound coming from my Engine

Hello Chevy Family, I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado LT Crew cab. lately I've started hearing this ticking sound coming from the engine, it occurs when I press the gas petal. There is no engine light indicator on just the ticking, When I'm driving on the interstate it ticks even when the engine switches from 4 to 8 cylinders. I want to know if it's the rods in the engine and since there is no engine light on will a dynastic test tel me what causing this. HELP is needed. there is plenty of oil in the truck I check it on a regular bases.
Old April 11th, 2013, 12:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

you better check the oil pressure.
Old April 11th, 2013, 3:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Well since it does it on the interstate I would rule out valve ticking because chevy is known for the valve ticking but only at start up. Have you checked for an exhaust leak?
Old June 29th, 2013, 2:39 AM
CF Junior Member

This might sound really strange or stupid but here goes. My 99 Silverado has 220,000 miles on it. I was hearing a ticking sound too and it sounded like lifter ticking not the lower rod ticking so I didn't think much of it. I check the oil regularly and it's good. I was at my son's house the other day and I started the truck up and he said it sounded like something leaking under the hood. I opened the hood and listened and it was coming from the driver's side. I shut it off and we started looking for leaks. It turns out the No 1 spark plug was loose. So, when I tried to get the plug wire off the plug it came apart right at the connection that pushes onto the plug. I was able to jury rig the wire, while at my son's, and get it to work until I got home. I got new plugs and wires and haven't had the ticking sound since. It runs better too. Go figure. I'm not sure who put the plugs in but I've never had a plug come loose that I put in. Could have been a fluke. Could have been a backyard mechanic that didn't tighten them all. Could have been a lot of things. At least we caught it before it did any damage. WHEW!

Last edited by 99 Silverado 3 door; June 29th, 2013 at 2:41 AM.