Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

suspension, linkage noise mystery

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2010, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension, linkage noise mystery

2001 2500HD 4x4:

Hi all; I have a very specific noise and vibration issue and before I start taking things apart, I wanted to ask for some ideas:

This is a rubbing, vibrational noise from the drivers side front (I think). It synchs with wheel movement so it's a cyclic rubbing with related vibration that sounds like road noise and can be felt in the steering (vuhrum vuhrum vuhrum). When I turn right, it stops completely. Going straight or to the left, it resumes and often makes a louder noise very similar to a drum brake rubbing inside a drum, particularly when turning or veering to the right. With a load in the back, or a trailer, the whole thing goes away. There is no wobble in the steering or tires that I can feel and no change in alignment. Brakes have plenty of material left on them. CV boots are good. For awhile, I thought one of the emergency brakes was rubbing inside the drum-- I can't believe that would transfer clear up into the steering but . . .

So do I focus on steering linkage, ball joints and bearings? Pwr steering pump? I don't have a lot of experience with suspension and linkage problems to dip into here so any help would be MOST appreciated! (as it is getting worse!)

Thanks everyone,