Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Sway/Stabilizer bar on 88 GMC C1500?

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2012, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway/Stabilizer bar on 88 GMC C1500?

Hi Folks--
New to the Forum and very 1st post!
A friend and I are rebuilding his 88 GMC C1500 (RWD) a little bit at a time, and currently working on the Front End. When we ordered parts, we ordered sway/stabilizer bar bushings and link bushings along with the other material.
Went over with the new parts to 'match', before starting the work, to insure we had the right stuff. I found there is no stabilizer bar on this truck (it is 25 years old)? It has the holes in the frame body (not threaded, & not nuts welded within frame on backside, gonna be tuff to get to!) for the brackets/bushings to hold the sway/stabilizer bar, and in lower control arm for connecting link and link bushings, but no bar.
He wants one, but I cannot find one, except in the higher dollar performance stuff. I did find some product under the K1500 (4wd model) in his price range.
So I guess the 1st question is did the C1500 come with a sway/stabilizer bar? If not, it certainly would appear they built it so that one could be installed. I did find a GM part number (15548449), but can find no cross reference or offered product, excepting that it may be for a later model (e.g., >1988).
I found one online junkyard that offered the used bar off a K series truck, and thier site states compatability with the C1500. But when I go to other auto truck sites that have sway bars (e.g., Rock, Dorman), they do not show a part number for the C1500, but do for the K1500. Freight is not cheap <grin>, and I would like to have a little assurance that it will fit.
Does anyone know if a stabilizer bar for the ‘K’ series will work on the ‘C” series (GM part # 15538658).
Any one experienced with this care to comment? Sure would appreciate some knowledge. Thanks!
Old November 26th, 2012, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it will interchange, because both models use double wishbone independent front suspension. The difference is torsion bars on the k series and coil springs on the c. Someone please correct me if I am wrong