Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

th350 question

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2012, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default th350 question

well its time i got around to swapping my tranny out of my 77 chevy 4x4 truck and ran in to a problem when i put the rebuilt tranny up. when i bolted it up there i noticed i couldnt turn the converter to put the bolts in, so i unbolted everything and dropped it down to see what was going on. i thought maybe i didnt have the converter set back all the way so i checked in to it and couldnt get the converter to go anymore. next i bolted it up there again and still seemed tight but i got the bolts in ( this is where i might have went wrong but idk) so after everything was all hooked up and full of fluid i fired it up and you could hear a grinding noise coming from the flywheel and the truck will not move either. now today i dropped the tranny out again and looked at the converter and it kinda looks like it might have been rubbing on the center of the converter where it meets the flywheel (MAYBE I SAY). i also looked inside the pump and when i go to move the two tangs the converter hooks in to they are very hard to move. i checked my old tranny and i can rotate the tangs easy. do you think i broke something in the pump? i checked to see if there was line pressure at the test port and i had nothing so that must mean the converter wasnt hooked in to those tangs i suppose or am i not correct on that? thanks
Old March 12th, 2012, 7:32 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes,

You've broken the drive gear and more than likely ruined the cast iron housing.

Rule is, that you shouldnt be able to get your fingers between the converter and the oil pump body when it's completely engaged. Converter drops twice to bottom.

And, you should always have to pull the converter forward to bolt it up.

What you've done is pushed that gear right out the back of the pump. Let's hope you didn't break the 2nd clutch piston as well.

Allan
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What transmission came out of the truck? What motor? You should use a flexplate with an automatic, flywheels are for manual transmissions.