Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Thinkin about getting a chevy truck.

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2009, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
don't be silly. toyota to chevy? i did honda to chevy, cursed day and time in about 2 mths.

anyhow, donno how much of "outdoors style" you have in mind and ACTUALLY DO. chevy trucks are not outdoors vehicles, they are poor breed work mules.

for true outdoorsman, get toyota 4runner or heck, forgot the name - oh, land cruiser. they are MADE to go outdoors and reliability is incomparable between the 2 makes.

also, if you happy with about 16-17 mpg, then yeah, do switch from yar-*** to a chevy pickup. i have same truck, i know. and i am VERY EASY on gas.

those trucks are made for folks like my kind - have decent income, good hands, and time to spend on repairs continuously. frigging money pit, always something. at least, i have learned a lot new about repairs. couldn't much off my CR-V, had only fuel cap replaced in 100 000 miles.
The problem is i need something with enough *** to haul my other car on a trailer to the track, and tools (kinda heavy, not exactly what one would call u fully stripped sprint car). But crvs are great vehicles my family has 2, and we just sold the third. I also want something with a bed, and toyota trucks are pretty pricey. And yes it does have 4wd. And as far as my outdoor life goes, everyday that i have off work im somewhere in the woods, and my yaris doesnt like the roads on the way there.
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by old dog
it don't sound bad ,is it a 2wd ?my ole man has a 2001 1500 2wd w 5.3 he gets about 18 or so mpg .privet owner ?any record?s what's it blue book for ?
4wd, clean carfax, 2 owners
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 2000 1500 and i get 18 mpg but watch out for the rockers and cab corners they all rust out really bad
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reconmarui
The problem is i need something with enough *** to haul my other car on a trailer to the track, and tools (kinda heavy, not exactly what one would call u fully stripped sprint car). But crvs are great vehicles my family has 2, and we just sold the third. I also want something with a bed, and toyota trucks are pretty pricey. And yes it does have 4wd. And as far as my outdoor life goes, everyday that i have off work im somewhere in the woods, and my yaris doesnt like the roads on the way there.
well, what i have learned from forums chat - and i appreciate you actually read and listened - is that most times, questions like this are already decided, and you are just quenching the tiny voice of conscience, or looking for some "you see what others say" bs for wife. most of those decisions are based on "makes my d... harder" rational, and for some folks, it's impossible to beat.

either vehicle will tow and tow a lot. i have buddy who bought 4runner (auction, of course, we do not buy new) and tows hack of a boat with no problems.
how much truck bed do you need and how often? you can tow a decent size trailer with dirt box or something else on it. or, for money you'll save on repairs, rent a truck. i, personally, started with Ranger. we still have it, but can not drive it for long runs, as it's regular cab and knees hurt in it in about half an hour drive. but we have horse acre, so we had to have something to haul dirt, manure, etc.
i still have that Ranger, as a spare. but i am next to selling my silvie, as 1. it is money pit 2. i use it for major hauls maybe 6 times a year 3. it keeps falling apart. last few weeks i was under probably every weekend.
so, i am looking for extended cab new gen Tacoma. my 6'5'' fits in very comfortably, for my hauls it'll do, or i'll just buy a trailer or can always rent one. but i know for darn sure - i'll be not living under that truck.
honestly - every time we bought a domestic, it was a disaster. we are frugal family, we work for living, we value our $$. and as i am sitting here typing it, i shall witness - in 2 yrs of ownership, i had more repairs done on this truck, than on 6 imports we owned or own combined. period. no matter what others will tell me - it is the last domestic i ever bought. Ranger is one hack of a reliable car, but IT IS MAZDA, that's why.

so, good luck. i wouldn't unless, you just like that hobby, called "treeshade mechaniching". or you got lots of easy money and feel like making shops richer.
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

For the miles it has its good price i guess. I have a single cab 5.3 motor and i have k&n filter and spacer. I get good mileage on my truck i think for the gas being 2.36 over here. GMC CHEVY BOTH GOOD TRUCKS FOR TOWING AND RACING LOL, I USE MINE FOR RACING.
Old June 7th, 2009, 1:22 AM
CF Junior Member

you will not keep great gas mileage with the truck, and for 11,5 I personally think that is a little too much, if you can post some Pics of the truck, then we will be able to help you out from there....