Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Thought on 2004 Chevy 2500HD with 6.0L?

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2015, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought on 2004 Chevy 2500HD with 6.0L?

I need a truck mainly for towing and plowing im not too concerned with gas mileage or comfort as its not going to be a daily driver. I have been looking at this 2004 chevy silvarado 2500HD 6.0L V8 with 160,000 miles for 5 grand. Im just looking for opinions like is this a decent year? Good engine? Good transmission? The guy kept repeating that it has a jasper transfer case so im guessing thats a good thing. Any glaring faults with the design or recalls I might not be aware of? Stuff like that any info will help, im not by any means a truck expert so I really appreciate your assistance.
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Well, it also depends on the condition of the truck and where you live. Here in Canada a truck just like that in fair condition would go for about at least $6300. You can't go wrong with a Vortec 6.0, they are stupid reliable and have good power, the transmissions range from the 4l60e, 4l70e and the 4l80e, all of which are good but I'm not sure which one of those it comes with.

I've heard mixed reviews about the transfer case you've mentioned but I'm sure it'll get the job done as long as it works!

Also is it a 2dr, 4dr or ext cab, short or long box? try and negotiate on the price too.
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

that is a great truck. hopefully it has the 4:11 rear end. very good for towing and plowing. it has torsion bars suspension so you can bring the front end back to proper ride height after installing the plow.

the tcases had an issue with the oil pump retainer breaking. this would allow the oil pump to slam against the case and cause a pinhole. so check for fluid leaking from the tcase.
Old September 20th, 2015, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Ok thanks guys its a 2 door no extended cab. Its a new england truck so im sure its seen its fair share of snow and salt. No rust on the body very little rust underneath (had it up on the lift), brake lines were shot but the seller has since fixed them, one thing that worries me is the coolant, its green I thought GM vehicles of this vintage use the orange stuff could that cause any issues? Another worrying thing is the tranny fluid was burnt black almost looked like motor oil I might not buy the truck because of this but the dealer said they are going to take apart the transmission and replace or rebuild it IF anything is wrong I didn't like the "if" being in that sentence. You guys know anything that would cause the tranny fluid to be burnt black? Maybe never changed? My first thought was that they used motor oil as tranny fluid but I thought it smelled like tranny fluid. Seemed to shift fine when I test drove it although I have never been in another GM truck with this tranny so im not sure what to compare it too.

Last edited by My Honda Is better; September 20th, 2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old September 20th, 2015, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

The coolant is nothing to worry about, however the transmission is, seeing as it's burnt black it could possibly indicate a severe problem, transmissions cost a fortune to repair and unless they replace it before you buy it, it's best to start looking somewhere else.

If you could bring it to a mechanic and get checked out it could just be a minor problem since you've stated it drives and shifts just fine.
Old September 21st, 2015, 5:00 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The transmission fluid would be a dealbreaker for me. Especially with your stated plans to use it for plowing and towing - both activities are hard on a transmission.

Either the fluid wasn't changed at the appropriate interval, or there's a problem.

Otherwise, the 04-06 2500HD is a beast of a truck.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Ok thanks guys it looks like the dealer did discover a problem with the transmission and he sent it out to be rebuilt, do you guys have an estimate for how much that would cost? Just curious the dealer seemed rather dissapointed im assuming its expensive. But im keeping my options open, I told the dealer my concerns and he said he would have had to do the tranny anyway so i dont need to feel obligated to buy it, he said even with the new tranny the price will stand for me, I highly doubt I will be able to find a truck like this with a rebuilt tranny for 5 grand so I am definitely still considering it.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Well, it all depends but in general transmissions cost a fortune to fix, thousands usually. If you can get that truck for $5k with a rebuilt transmission receipts and everything, you're set!
Old September 24th, 2015, 12:32 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Being the cynical person I am, I'd want to know what was wrong, who did the rebuild, what parts were used, and what was done.

I would then take the truck to my mechanic to check out the transmission and everything else. Call it a $100 insurance policy.

But, on the surface, that truck with that mileage and a rebuilt tranny for $5k? That's a great deal.