Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2008, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Spacer

I have recently purchased a Silverado 2500HD with 8.1L. I tow a 28ft. Toybox trailer with it, the truck does just fine pulling the trailer. I see advertised a Trottlebody spacer that is supposed to increase power and fuel economy. I'm alittle sceptical, has anyone tried any of the spacers? Where they worth the money?
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle Body Spacer

my friend tried it on his 92 explorer... he said he could tell a difference when all it was is a half inch piece of aluminum that cost him 100 bucks. that sexy 8.1l you got goin on sucks some major air. but you cant achieve more performance AND fuel economy. more air means more fuel thus that awesome performance increase. in my mind the only way to get more power and efficiency is a tune. by pokin around the air/fuel mix at different throttle positions and revs and such. thats just my idea. but it was weird because my friend with the exploder said he had both fuel economy and power. so i dont know. personally... i wouldnt get the plate. hell if you know someone that is good with metal and can get a plate of aluminum that thick then id say make it. i even hear ppl using wood. id rather get a better air flow sensor. but please this is only my ideas and my friends results. some say it worked for them others say different i hope it helped and i hope more post so you get your chance to choose.
Old November 30th, 2008, 6:44 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TBI spacer helped alot............But mine does have a 2 little tubes that spray fuel and nitrous.
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM
CF Active Member

well first off i dont think economy and 8.1L go in the same sentance but my spacer helped a little on the torque but didnt notice anymore than about 1mpg increase
Old November 30th, 2008, 5:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you looked into those?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...m=380069451833

there's another one that has 'prongs" in the bore to create a vortex. also, i saw one for plenum, just can't find it again. also, with air turbulance modification.
Old November 30th, 2008, 7:58 PM
CF Active Member

I understand the theory on carbed engines, fuel is pulled furthur & atomizes into air better. Butmultiport FI engines,? If anything you are just de-tuning the intake. The air still goes through your heated throttle body so, there goes the denser charge claim. Unless of course you get one of the fancy threaded ones that makes little horsepower tornados in your intake.
Old December 1st, 2008, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all of the input. If I decide to get one I will definately post my results.