Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Tightening torshen bars bad or good?

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009 | 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tightening torshen bars bad or good?

I installed a grill guard that has lowered my front end by about 2 1/2 inches and I can't afford a leveling kit and I'm gonna need to go off roading in two weeks. But I have been told about tightening my torshen bars to raise my front end and I also have been told about some things that I can buy to insert into my coil to avoid it condensing down. Any bad things come from messing with the torshen bar like long term damage or is it safe?
Old May 27th, 2009 | 11:02 PM
CF Monarch

Its spelled "torsion"

If you have torsion bars you do not have a coil.

Torsion bar lifts are safe, but can cause abnormal wear on CV joints after a few thousand miles. Keep in mind you need it realigned once you lift it.
Old May 27th, 2009 | 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Default spring's ?

what year truck and is a 4x4 ,you either have coil over struts up front or torsion bar's not both .with coils you can use the spacer's ,with torsion bar's you can crank them up ,or install new key's to raise it up to level . that must be a heavy grill guard !!!! ,my plow only dropped my 2500hd about 1" i just cranked the bar's but had to get a front end alignment .
Old May 27th, 2009 | 11:38 PM
CF Junior Member

I was able to crank mine to level my 2500HD and it actually improved the allignment from the factory.
Old May 28th, 2009 | 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default Coil accessories

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Its spelled "torsion"

If you have torsion bars you do not have a coil.

Torsion bar lifts are safe, but can cause abnormal wear on CV joints after a few thousand miles. Keep in mind you need it realigned once you lift it.
Some guy on the street said that there is something i can buy from Home depot that will go in between the coil. he said he wasn't talking about a space but more of something that goes in the coil. Any idea what he's talking about?
Old May 28th, 2009 | 12:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default coil inserts?

is there anything else that can be used on a coil to keep it expanded? Some old guy in a 2007 2500 said that you can buy some inserts that go in the coil. Any ideas?
Old May 28th, 2009 | 12:54 AM
CF Active Member

I think jcwhitney has some kind of coil spring spacers of something of that sort. But if you have a 4wd, you should only have torsion bars, no coils, i think.
Old May 28th, 2009 | 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

If you have torsion bars you do not have coils
Old May 28th, 2009 | 12:56 AM
CF Active Member

You're missing the message bro; you have either a coil, or a torsion bar. You don't have both; you need to determine which one you do have before anybody here can be of any help to you.

What is the model and year of your vehicle?

[Edit]

Beaten by a minute; Suzuki guy! Way to go. =]
Old May 28th, 2009 | 1:02 AM
CF Active Member

OMG, there's an echo!! LOL

Quick Reply: Tightening torshen bars bad or good?