Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Timing with a scan..

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2010, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing with a scan..

Help!! I did a intake manifold gasket replacement. And i made a domestic mistake. It wont time. I was told that i need a "scanner" in order to set the cam adjustment. In other words, Timing... I would like to know, is there another way. Like disconecting battery, jumping a wire, disconnecting a wire, etc.... that can do the same thing as the "SCANNER"...
Thanks
Old April 11th, 2010, 5:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of vehicle? Engine, year, all that good stuff.
Old April 11th, 2010, 6:07 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no other way. You must see the spec / setting in the data of a scan tool.
Old April 11th, 2010, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
There is no other way. You must see the spec / setting in the data of a scan tool.
Thank you. I moved up here a year ago, so i dont know a good, great shop around hear. I noticed that your a shop foreman. Is this shop close to Natomas area, Sacramento.
Old April 11th, 2010, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Oh yah, I cant start it. Is there a "limp mode" so i can drive it there. If its possible...
Old April 11th, 2010, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Originally Posted by BMWTECHNICIAN
Is this shop close to Natomas area, Sacramento.
It is in Maryland.
Old April 11th, 2010, 8:46 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

If you get it in close it will run enough for someone to set it with a scanner. I will post the instructions but I can not post the pictures.

1. Bring cylinder number one piston to Top Dead Center (TDC) of compression stroke.
2. Remove the distributor cap bolts and discard.
3. Remove the distributor cap.
4. Install a NEW distributor gasket onto the distributor
5. Align the indent hole on the driven gear with the paint mark on the distributor housing. Ensure that the distributor rotor segment points to the cap hold area
7. Align the slotted tang in the oil pump driveshaft with the distributor driveshaft. Rotate the oil pump driveshaft with a screwdriver if necessary.
Align the flat (1) in the distributor housing toward the front of the engine.
Install the distributor and distributor clamp.
Once the distributor is fully seated, align the distributor rotor segment with the number 8 pointer that is cast into the distributor base.
If the distributor rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the number 8 pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and camshaft may be off a tooth or more. Repeat the procedure in order to achieve proper alignment. NOTICE: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
Old April 12th, 2010, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

MDTAHOE

Thanks buddy. Heres my e-mail address if you get a chance to send pictures. trans_fanatic@yahoo.com This distributor doesnt have the paint mark on the housing. Im going to take out the distributor and see what i did wrong. Why do you have to discard the old screws from the cap. And what chevy repair manuel would you recommend for chevys. Not a cheepy manuel. Something you would use for information. Ive been a BMW tech for 23 years. I just recently started to work on ALL cars, including motorcyles. I'll let you know what i find. Thanks for the info...
Old April 12th, 2010, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

[quote=BMWTECHNICIAN;140668]MDTAHOE

Thanks buddy. Heres my e-mail address if you get a chance to send pictures. trans_fanatic@yahoo.com This distributor doesnt have the paint mark on the housing. Im going to take out the distributor and see what i did wrong. Why do you have to discard the old screws from the cap. And what chevy repair manuel would you recommend for chevys. Not a cheepy manuel. Something you would use for information. Ive been a BMW tech for 23 years. I just recently started to work on ALL cars, including motorcyles. I'll let you know what i find. Thanks for the info...
Old April 12th, 2010, 9:06 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

I do not know how to send the pictures. I have yet to see one with the paint marks. I /we my shop use All Data, it is a direct copy of the factory manual (word for word). You can subscribe online and then you could see the pictures.

Quick Reply: Timing with a scan..