Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

Tip on removing a frozen or rusted wheel hub assembly

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2013, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tip on removing a frozen or rusted wheel hub assembly

I spent about half a day using heat, BFHs, curse words, howling, pb blaster, etc but couldn't get the rusted frozen wheel hub bearing assembly to budge out of the front knuckle on my 2000 Chevy Silverado 2wd.

So I got 'smart' (after half a day, I'm not sure it counts.)

To save anyone else, here is what I did. You can adapt it to what you have lying around. It took 15 minutes to pull the hub out using this method. And, the best thing is, it doesn't put any stress on the ball joints or tie rod, etc.

I attached an adjustable receiver bar I had with the ball out, to a wheel bolt, and put the chevy's own wheel jack against the knuckle and cranked. Basically you have to create an extension of the hub so you can push it with the jack. Worked really well. Hope you can see how it is done in the pics. Clearly you have to have another jack to jack up the truck!

Oh yes, I cranked in 3 different positions around the knuckle to even out the outward pressure so the hub would slide out as easy as possible. With the 'extension' on the hub it's as easy as releasing the jack, turning the hub, putting the jack in position again and cranking.
Attached Thumbnails Tip on removing a frozen or rusted wheel hub assembly-imag1390-large.jpg   Tip on removing a frozen or rusted wheel hub assembly-imag1388-large.jpg   Tip on removing a frozen or rusted wheel hub assembly-imag1389-large.jpg  

Last edited by pdrayton; January 2nd, 2013 at 9:06 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey, look at you Macgyver!

for future use, vinegar will melt away rust.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Good call on the vinegar. I have sulphuric acid too... But I don't think the vinegar would be able to get in there - it was soooo tight. But maybe I'm wrong. I'll try it next time....
Old July 30th, 2014, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this work on my 2001 1500 4wd hub.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks. I am half a day into getting mine out. I will try your method.
Old June 5th, 2015, 6:20 PM
CF Active Member

Good use of your head and the tools available. It just goes to show that a determined mechanic will find the way.

I had an instance today and a screwdriver saved my day. Was changing the oil pressure on my 95 5.7L and when i was installing the fitting back into the block under the distributor the brass fitting broke
Didn't have any easy outs and after about 2 minutes of searching found a screwdriver that fit the inside of the fitting, one good whop with a hammer and careful turning with a pair of channel locks and got it out.
Attached Thumbnails Tip on removing a frozen or rusted wheel hub assembly-fitting-001.jpg  
Old June 21st, 2018, 6:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default PB blaster and two hammers

I have an 05 Malibu Maxx and I tried just about every trick in the book to get my seized up drivers side wheel bearing off. I tried using the 13 mm socket and extension (and lots of pb blaster) try to beat it out with a hammer, but got nothing. My solution was brilliantly simple. If you don't have one handy, go to Home Depot and pick up a 40 blacksmith hammer (made by Estwing) for about $20. Also, if you don't have one, get a straight claw hammer (I use a 22 oz.) for about the same price. Simply hit around the hub (use the 40 oz. andplenty of force) until you start to see some separation. Then put the claw end of your claw hammer in the separation and tap the head of the claw hammer with the 40 oz. and pull the assembly towards you. Repeat this process working around the assembly until it comes free. Then just make sure you have a wire brush or 1 inch wire wheel to clean up the rust and some brake cleaner to rinse it out.

Last edited by chris ilbrink; June 21st, 2018 at 6:57 AM.