Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Tires and key fob...yea thats right

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and key fob...yea thats right

Hi all i just picked up my new 08 1500.

I looked though most of the posts but couldnt find the answer that i was looking for...was hoping you all could help me out.

1. If i put a larger tire on, can the truck be reprogrammed so the speedo and odometer and everything else work correctly, or do i have to buy a third party kit to correct the issue? (I got 20in rims but they come with eagle ls-2 tires that do not belong...)

2. I am thinking about upgrading to the longer range keyfob for remote start/keyless entry...was wondering if anyone had expirience with it? I had a viper system in my old truck and loved the range that i got with it (old truck didnt come with keyless entry), doubt this would give me that distance butthis one can display fuel level, tire pressure, and some other nice info on the fob.

Let me know what you all think.
Old September 29th, 2008, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Tires and key fob...yea thats right

Yes you can reprogram your information into the new computer for the bigger tire and rim sizes. you can either take it into the dealership and have them do it professionaly or you can buy a programer that allows you to do it yourself. only thing is, is the programmer will set you back a few hundred dollars. as for the long range FOB i have no idea lol
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
CF Active Member

Gm only offers certain tire size combo's for programing. If it (new size) is not a factory size they offer, then they will notrelease a VCI programing.
I think the largest size they offer is 275/55/20 which is.3" taller than a 305/40/22 (265/70/17 is equal to 305/40/22).
Old September 30th, 2008, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

My truck currently has 275/55R20 on it right now...my biggest concern is that i have herd a lot of bad things about the tire(eagle ls-2) for winter driving especially. Granted I do have 4x4 but i hate usingit for what should be standard winter driving.

I know i could just replace the tire...but the dealership has a tires for life program that i want to take advantage of...so i if i get a new set of wheels and tires i figured i would use them for winter driving and for what off roading i do(not much)

Im sure these questions have been asked before but Im a newby at this stuff.

I checked out hypertech's site...they have an inline adjuster, but i dont think thats what i want, i dont want to have to tear apart the dash each time i change wheels. Makes me think i might need to invest ina programmer. Is there much chance that these programmers can screw up the computer in the truck?What do people like for a brand? I wouldn't be changing anything but tire size really.
Old October 21st, 2008, 1:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Extended Remote Control Range; Try this... place the edge of your remote control against your neck when you press the buttons. Your body will act as an antennea and will extend your range quite a bit. You have nothing to lose, and distance to gain!