Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Traction Control Trouble...

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2010, 6:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control Trouble...

I bought a 2007 <NOBR style="FONT-FAMILY: inherit; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_0_0>Silverado</NOBR> LS Classic recently. I noticed on the test drive when accelerating from a dead stop the truck would slightly hesitate and the "Traction Activated" message would appear. Never have owned a Chevy or had traction control before I didn't think much of it.

After searching the internet I am learing that it shouldn't be "activating" on dry pavement. Anyone else have this trouble??

Thanks! Jeff
Old May 5th, 2010, 9:32 AM
CF Active Member

yes. I had same problem. I replaced both front wheel bearing. The bearing and sensors go bad in them. How many mile on the truck. seems like they go around 50-65k. most people don't notice the bad bearings unless they have traction control, it don't take much to go off.
Old May 5th, 2010, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LARIDERS
yes. I had same problem. I replaced both front wheel bearing. The bearing and sensors go bad in them. How many mile on the truck. seems like they go around 50-65k. most people don't notice the bad bearings unless they have traction control, it don't take much to go off.

Ive replaced the drivers side sensor with no luck. I would have swapped the new sensor to the other side if I didn't break the old senor taking it out (long story). I am planning on changing the passenger side next. The bearings seem ok. Never thought of changing out the whole assembly. I have 88,000 miles.

FWIW, I found the EXACT replacement sensors on amazon for $72.00 shipped from ac delco.
Old May 5th, 2010, 1:39 PM
CF Active Member

just replacing the sensor is not going to do it. you have to replace the whole unit. Get a new bearing/hub with a new sensor in it. just cuase you think the bearing is fine does not mean the truck thinks so. the computer reads so much info so fast it only takes a small amount of slip to set off your T/C. I can't beleave just the sensor would cost that much. bearing/hub with sensor was $155 each.
Old May 5th, 2010, 3:13 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I would have to suggest you have the vehicle looked at at the dealership. You do still have Powertrain warranty left. I checked and under normal circumstances you should be covered for this issue. You simply have to take the vehicle there and talk with their service department about it. I hope that helps.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 5th, 2010, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
I would have to suggest you have the vehicle looked at at the dealership. You do still have Powertrain warranty left. I checked and under normal circumstances you should be covered for this issue. You simply have to take the vehicle there and talk with their service department about it. I hope that helps.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

I made an appointment online for Monday. I was thinking all along about taking it in but its the pride factor that sometimes clouds my judgement. I kind of like fixing things myself.

Thanks for the advise!
Old May 5th, 2010, 9:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the Abs is not activating during low speed stopping the your wheel speed sensors are probably not the problem. Are you taking off hard? Are the tires slipping? You could turn off the traction control. Are all your tires the same exact size?
Old May 6th, 2010, 5:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
If the Abs is not activating during low speed stopping the your wheel speed sensors are probably not the problem. Are you taking off hard? Are the tires slipping? You could turn off the traction control. Are all your tires the same exact size?
ABS isnt actvating when stopping. It does seem to be activating when I take off from a dead stop. If I accerate slowly from a dead stop its normal. If I take off like I am heading into traffic it engages for maybe a second, enough to feel the brakes come on and the message box to say "Traction Active". Tires arent slipping. Tires are brand new and same size. When I had the wheel off I did noticed the brake pads are new also.

Thanks!!
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Chevy Dealer called and said the front drivers side hub assembly is bad. The good news is that it is coverd under warranty. Bad news they dont have the part in stock so it wont be fixed till tommorow.

I at least isolated the right part, sort of. Like previous post, changing just the sensor apparently dosent fix the problem. If you have the same trouble and want to figure out which wheel is bad all you need is a volt meter capable of reading AC voltage. Jack up one tire at a time enough to be able to spin. Disconnect the sensor wire harness just above the wheel well. I was able to stick the meter probes into the harnes towards the senor. Then spin the wheel. You should get a voltage reading. If not, the sensor/hub is defective. Dosent look to be a hard part to change if you have two wheel drive.

Hope that helps somebody...
Old May 10th, 2010, 1:03 PM
CF Active Member

Thats good they found the problem. sounded like the hub when you said what it was doing. its nice they are going to take care of it for you. from what I have seen it will not belong till the other one will go.

Quick Reply: Traction Control Trouble...