Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trailer 7-prong plug

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2007, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer 7-prong plug

I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD that came factory equipped with a brake controller and trailer 7-prong plug. When I hooked up my trailer I realized there is no constant 12 volt power coming through the plug.
The GM diagram shows which spade of plug is constant power but it tests dead. Did they just forget to hook it up or is that the way they come from the factory? Thanks for your help
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trailer 7-prong plug

Read this from Prodigy. You may no have to bother with the brake contol wire since it came from the factory with a contol.
There are two wires under the hood that have to be connected to make the tow package
functional, one is the power wire to the brake control and the other is the battery charge
line to the 7 way connector. These wires are both Red/Black with eyelets connected to
them. They are coiled up under the hood and will need to be connected to the under hood
fuse box. One of these wires can be found located between the fuse box and the left
(drivers) side fender. The other is located under the master cylinder/brake booster
assembly.
The battery charge wire and the brake control wire have different size eyelets on them
and will connect to the threaded studs under the Gray handle of the front of the fuse box.
The two studs are also different size.
Note: GM does not supply the nuts required to secure the wires to the studs. These can be
obtained locally.
Important: Raising the Gray handle more than 3/8 of an in to gain access to the
studs
, will result in the fuse box coming disconnected from the electrical connector.

If disconnection occurs you may have to see your local GM dealership for repairs.